Chapter Eleven

I walked out into the night air.  It was dark out, but all the houses around kept their front light on to light the walk ways.  All the houses were a gray stone with windows.  Simple and all that was needed to live with.  The girl with the sling walked past me, a life in Dauntless caused you to walk fast.  That's something I once read.

        I passed many homes where I could see the parents cleaning dishes and the children mostly likely drying them and putting them away.  Such a simple life.  I smiled, this was my life.  Nothing like the world I came from.  A large burden has been taken off my shoulders and now I am able to just help people, something I used to do in little ways.  Letting people pass me, tutoring.  While thinking of these things, I didn't even notice that I had stopped in the middle of the road.  I heard beeping behind me.

        Turning, I saw a car.  Unusual in Abnegation but the leaders did need to get around, so a few of them had a car.  I moved aside and the car slowed to a stop next to me.  When the window rolled down, I saw that it was Peyton's father.  Makes sense.

        "Would you like a ride?"  He asked.

        "No thanks, I'd like to walk around a bit.  Thank you for the offer."  I replied.  I hoped that my cheeks weren't red.

        "Alright.  But make sure that you pick a home tonight.  I will not allow anyone to live their life without a home."  He said before driving off.

        I thought about the factionless.  They lived in condemned buildings.  I've heard of the Abnegation working to help them make those spaces homely for them.  So even they don't go without a place to call home.

        The house I picked was like all the others around it.  I didn't see who moved in next door.  It seemed like the whole street I chose was now taken by the new initiates.  I wondered what happened to the kids who were Abnegation born.  Did they just go back home with their parents until the time came for them to leave?

        Answers weren't really a problem for me at the moment though, so I walked around my house.  The living room area was small, a couch and three chairs sat around a gray colored table.  In the dinning room sat one table with four chairs.  An oil lamp sat atop it.  In the cabinets were already all the plates, bowls, cups, and silverware I would need.  I walked up the stairs.  There were five rooms.  I already knew from a book I read through in one of my classes that those of the opposite sex don't share the same room in Abnegation.  Even married couples.

        I walked into one of the rooms.  Everything was gray, like the rest of this place besides the grass.  I crawled into the bed and sat up for a while, not really tired.  I knew that tomorrow I should be fully awake, so I forced myself to fall asleep.

***

        When I woke up the next morning, I heard knocking on my front door.