Chapter Twenty

When I woke up, just the beginning of sunlight began to shine through. I smiled to myself as I sat up. I didn't know when Peyton wanted to do this, but I knew we were at least going to talk about it today.

I got up and opened my mirror. I knew that it would be three months until I would be able to do this again. I lifted the scissors on the top of the table. I lightly snipped the bottom of my hair. It was shorter than before, but not too short.

I watched myself in the mirror for a quick second before closing it. Not that I hate my face, but I wasn't allowed. That didn't bother me though. I ate breakfast when I got downstairs and decided to myself that I should walk to Peyton's and talk about it. However, by the time I opened my door to go see him, I could see him down the street, walking towards me.

"Oh, morning." I said to him once he reached the stairs.

"Morning. Have you heard the good news?"

"What news?"

"Evelyn and Marcus are together. Council officiated it last night."

"That's great, I'm happy for them. Is there going to be a ceremony?"

"No, nothing like that happens here. Instead, you just say 'Congrats' when you see them next. And expect both of them to be with each other always."

I wouldn't mind being with Peyton always.

"Let's sit." I offered while pointing to the couch.

We both sat down and I placed my hands in my lap.

"Nicole, we both like each other. This is a good idea." He said, shocking me with his intensity.

"Well, it's the best idea that I've got. Should we go tonight?"

"Let's congratulate Evelyn and Marcus first by one of us inviting them for lunch and then we can go afterwards."

"That's a wonderful idea. I believe that Evelyn and Marcus would love that." I smiled at him. "I know that Marcus lives on this street. I can see his door from here." I looked out the window, looking at the door that Marcus was standing in, shaking hands with someone.

***

Peyton and I walked out of my home and towards Marcus's. When we knocked on the door, Evelyn opened it.

"Hello. What a surprise." She said.

"Hello Evelyn," I said, "We just came over to say congrats."

"Well thank you." She said, Marcus came over and wrapped his arm around her. My eyes went straight down to it, Marcus saw and quickly moved his arm. A strange thought came into my mind but I pushed it out.

"We would like to invite you both to have lunch with us." Peyton said while I tried to throw myself back into the conversation.

"That would be just lovely. Thank you for offering." Evelyn said, "We will be over shortly. We need to be here just in case others come."

"Take all the time you need." I said.

We all said our goodbyes, shaking hands, before walking back to my house. When I looked over at Erin's home, I saw her smiling at me. I knew what she was thinking, and took this small moment to relish in the fact that it was true.

***

Peyton and I had just finished dusting when I heard a knock on the door. It was Evelyn and Marcus.

"Are we too early?" She asked, she seemed upset that she could have possibly been too early.

"No, you're right on time. Come on in." Peyton said, gesturing them.

I went into the kitchen to bring out the food, chicken and beans, while Peyton helped them to the table. I made sure to place their plates first.

"So, how long did it take for you to decide on this?" Peyton asked, I didn't find the question too bold.

"Only a few days. We had talked since the Choosing Ceremony, and we I guess, clicked." Marcus replied, smiling down at Evelyn. He looked back at Peyton. "When will the two of you go to the council?"

I coughed as Evelyn looked at him, shocked. "Marcus!"

"What, it's obvious." He said, holding out a hand to us. That thought from earlier came out. Something I had learned while in school. Divergence. It meant you didn't fully live by the rules of your faction, and Marcus was so far filling the bill.

"We were planning on going later today or tomorrow. Do you know of anyone else who is going to them soon?" Peyton said, looking at Marcus.

"I believe Natalie and Andrew were planning on going. At least I think that's what he was going to do. I wasn't paying too much attention while I was working the other day."

"Well, we'll just have to wait and see now won't we."

"We will. I hope they do though, they are a good team when they work together. Like they were meant to be. Huh," Marcus somewhat chuckled, "I almost feel like Natalie was put here by someone else. Like she wasn't really from Dauntless."

"Well another member from there said they remembered her there. I'm guessing that she just didn't fit in there, like you didn't your old faction." I said, looking up at him before taking another bite of my chicken. He stared at me.

"I guess that could be the case."

The rest of the meal was quiet. Evelyn was the one who thanked us and shook our hands before they left. Marcus just nodded his head. I cleaned the dishes, Peyton cleaned and dried.

"Marcus seems mad at me." I said.

"Don't mind him. He won't be for long." Peyton tapped my shoulder.

"I hope so."