Chapter Sixteen

Peyton and I walked down the streets of Abnegation for awhile, looking for my house. I had told him the number on my building, so he knew where to find it. When I could see my house in sight, I wished we hadn't made it yet. I liked so much to walk with him more.

"There we are." He said as I stood at the bottom of the stairs.

"Thank you for walking me home Peyton." I said. I saw his hand go up, and then he brought it down. I leaned down and took his hand, shaking it. The most physical touching you could do in public, though no one was around.

"Sleep well Nicole." He said while walking away.

"Same to you." I called climbing my stairs.

***

My dream that night was nothing like an Abnegation lifestyle I could ever live.

Peyton and I, walking and talking, holding hands. Sharing a kiss here and there outside. Inside my dream I was happy, yet when I woke, I became sad. I knew that a life like that was denied in Abnegation, but it wasn't denied in my imagination, which could be the death of me.

***

I saw Peyton the next day while I was cleaning my windows. He was walking down the street with Marcus and Andrew. When he saw me he smiled, waving at me. I waved back, as did the other two boys. I almost didn't pay them any mind.

I watched as he said good-bye to his friends and then went over to my stairs. I dropped my cloth and went to the door, waiting for his knock. When I heard it, I waited just a few seconds before opening the door.

"Yes?" I asked him, though I smiled to see him.

"I was wondering if you'd like to help Andrew, Marcus, and I in our project?" He seemed really happy talking about this.

"What is it doing?"

"We are going to help clean large chunks of debris from the factionless area and bring it to the edge of the fence, we'll need some Dauntless help for the heavy lifting, but we thought it would be a great idea to clean out the factionless homes."

"I would love to help. It seems like such a wonderful idea."

"Great!" He threw his hands up in the air. "We will be going about it next week. Andrew and Marcus are asking others to help out. We thought if we got all the new members to do it that it could go really well."

"I think it will." I wrapped my arms around me, "Where are you going to now?"

"We are going to get a list of people who will help and then bring it up to the leaders." He paused and looked away from me, "Would you like to join us? The more people to come might show how much we want to do this."

"I would love to. And maybe even get a group of people to go to Dauntless to get some help too."

"Oh, I forgot about that. We may need adults to go with us or for us."

"True. Though I know a few girls here are from Dauntless."

"We'll get them on the project."

It grew quiet between us. I didn't want to stop talking with him, but I knew that he would need to go soon. He threw his hands into his pockets.

"We'll be meeting by the community building around dinner time. See you then?" He asked at last.

"Sure, I will be there."

The two of us smiled at each other before he walked down my steps. When he turned around I waved at him, he waved back. Out of the corner or my eye I saw the house across the street. Someone was watching from the window. It was Erin. I slowly closed my door and went back to cleaning my windows. Every time I went to look out, I saw Erin watching me.

After I finished with all the windows in the front of my home I waved at her, summoning her to come over. I watched as she came out of her house and crossed the road. I had the door open when she came to it.

"So, like my windows?" I joked with her. She laughed.

"Well, yes. They are very clean."

"I like being able to use them as much as I can. I'll use less oil that way."

"Good thinking." She looked about, I moved so she could come in. When I shut the door, she whirled around and blurted out something I never thought I would hear. "Do you like Peyton?"

"Umm, why is that a concern?" I held my hands behind my back, just in case they were shaking.

"Well, it just seems like you do. He I think he feels the same."

"Were you Candor?" I asked suddenly.

Erin bit her lip. "Yes, I guess it just came out. I'm sorry if I was rude." She made a move towards the door. I brought a hand to her shoulder.

"It's fine. I was just taken aback by your observation. And yes, I do." I answered her. A smile grew on her lips.

"Oh, I'm glad."

"Would you like to come over for dinner?"

"I would be delighted."

***

After the two of us ate and Erin went home, I began walking down the street to the community building.

"Nicole!" I heard behind me. When I turned I saw Andrew, Natalie, Evelyn, and Marcus walking. I waited for them.