Chapter Eighteen

The next week went back in an exact prosession. I got up, went to the community center, chose between two activities, and then spent some time with friends while walking home.

The leaders of Abnegation made a choice that our large project would be in a few days. I was excited to help. And because of that, a few Dauntless members were with us. A few of us opened our homes to them, I had one in my house.

Her name was MacKenzie. She had short black hair that was shaved down on one side. She took the bedroom right next to mine. She also never complained about the food, which was strange for a Dauntless, though I guess they weren't was blunt as the Candor.

When I got home the day before the project, I walked in to see MacKenzie sleeping on the couch. It was good to see her sleeping after she had been climbing the side of my house last night.

I went up the stairs but stopped halfway when I heard a knock on my door. I turned to see that MacKenzie was up and walking over. When she swung the door carelessly open, I saw Peyton.

"Oh, hey." I said, walking to the door.

"Hey." He said, "I was wondering, umm, what time you were going to be at the community building?"

I tried to hide my feelings as I spoke to him. "I was thinking after breakfast."

"Okay, that's a great time. Nice to meet you." He shook MacKenzie's hand before leaving. She shut the door and laughed.

"What?" I asked her.

"The two of you are so awkward. Just admit you like each other."

My cheeks went hot. "That's not how it works here."

"Well it should. It would help a lot of you. I see so much sexual tension within you people. Maybe some public kissing allowed in here will solve it."

"That would never happen."

"I know."

"Want dinner?"

"When you want to eat I'll eat. Don't rush yourself."

I sighed lightly and walked up the stairs. I didn't like that she was giving me the say on when we would eat. She was my guest. I wanted her to eat when she was hungry. Though she had probably snacked on something while I was gone.

***

I had fed both MacKenzie and I later that night, same chicken and peas as the whole week. After I had cleaned the dishes and put them away I announced that I was going to bed. MacKenzie nodded and bounded up the stairs beside me, passing me really. She went into her room and shut the door. I wondered if she was just going to be early so she would have more strength to move the heavier pieces of debris.

Morning came slowly. I got up and slipped into a pair of pants and long gray pants. It wasn't odd for an Abnegation girl to wear pants, but it just didn't happen often.

MacKenzie and I walked together until two more Dauntless members came out from nowhere and grabbed her, causing her to scream with playful fear. Turns out more people wanted to help out.

I waited outside the building with older and younger Abnegation members until Peyton, Marcus, Evelyn, Andrew, and Natalie came walking over. I smiled and met them halfway.

"Here is the whole group I believe." Pointing behind me.

"There's is so many of them. This is great." Andrew said, Natalie looked up at him with a large smile.

***

The large group of people all walked together until we reached the area where there was a large amount of debris. Natalie, Erin, and I took all the children to help clean up on one side of the area while the Dauntless ran around with ropes and swung in and out of the rocks to get them moving. There was about thirteen of them pulling on the rope that was tied to the first chuck of wall. It moved easily and they ended up having to drag it a distance until they found the truck that would haul it away. One of them ended up driving the truck closer.

Some of the older Abnegation men helped out the Dauntless while the woman and younger ones came over to move the medium to small pieces into the other truck that was driven over. One of the Dauntless members said that they would take them to their compound for repaired their 'Pit'. Whatever that was. I'd never know.

By the time that most of the large chunks of debris were in the truck we had filled ours with the smaller pieces and it was moving away. The area already looked better, safer.

MacKenzie walked up to me and tapped me on the shoulder. "Thanks for letting me stay with you."

"It's no problem, really."

"Oh, okay." I could hear the sarcasm dripping from her voice.

She went back with her fellow Dauntless and held onto the back of the truck once the door closed, that's how she rode home. Holding on for dear life on the side of a truck.

"The Dauntless are crazy." I said to myself.

"They really are." I jumped at Peyton's voice.

"So, do you think we were successful?"

"Very." He ran his hand through his hair. He wanted to say something. "Nicole, would you, umm, want to walk with me real quick?"

"Sure. Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything is fine. Just, walk with me."

I did as he said and followed him as we walked back towards Abnegation sector. I looked over at Erin moving pieces of debris against the building. She smiled and winked at me. I looked away before I would blush.