Chapter Twenty-Nine

*A small while later*

Peyton ran into my room just as I woke up to the sound of gun shots. He pulled me out of bed and threw me into my closet.

"Peyton! What's going on?" His eyes were wild, I was so nervous.

"Dauntless is attacking us. Stay here. Understand?" He had his hands on my shoulders, keeping me down.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going out there to talk with them."

"What if you get hurt?"

"Then you stay here!" He got up and raced out of my room. I pulled the door to my closet shut. I hoped that this was all a dream, but the pounding of my heart told me otherwise.

After a few minutes of sitting there and waiting, I could take it no more. I opened my door and ran downstairs to Peyton. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, my heart broke. Our door was open, I saw the dead bodies of Abnegation members all along the street.

Susan.

I hopped out the door and ran to her home. I only stopped when I saw a group of Dauntless coming towards me.

"STOP THERE!" He yelled. I went frozen. One of the men kicked the backs of my knees, sending me down. My face stared at the ground.

"Please, don't kill me." I whimpered at them.

"Eric." I heard one of them say. "I found the wife of Black." I looked up then. I gasped. I would recognize those eyes anywhere. My brother, standing next to John, my old friend from Erudite. Eric didn't know me, and John seemed to forget who I was. When I looked to the side, I saw Arthur, the first person who took me under their wing, laying on the ground, blood pooling around him.

"Get her up and bring her to her husband. I want them together." Eric commanded, two men grabbed me by the arms and followed John. They led me right to Susan's house. Peyton must have run there too. I watched in horror as two guards held him, and Susan. I heard a shout and Greg burst out the doors. He jumped onto one of the guards holding onto Susan.

"Greg!" She yelled. "Greg! Stop please! Greg!" It was too late. John had already walked over and shot him in the back of the head. Susan's cries filled the air.

My two guards dragged me to Peyton. "Hold them there until Eric comes." John said. I looked to Peyton.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't stay up there alone." I whispered.

"I know. I'm surprised you stayed that long." From where we sat, our hands could touch. I grabbed his and we held them there for the whole time we had to wait for Eric to return. I used this time as a try for survival.

"John." I said, he turned and looked at me. "Please don't do this. I know you, you're better than this."

"Shut up traitor!" He screamed. He didn't remember me. We was under a spell, or worse, a serum.

"John please! It's me! Nicole! Don't do this."

"If you don't shut your mouth, I'll shoot your daughter right now."

He said, putting his gun to Susan's head. My breath stopped. I kept my mouth shut.

When Eric came back, he had one of each our guards hold our hands behind our backs. Peyton and I wouldn't let go of each other's hands. They decided to have us back to back. Then we held both hands. John stood in front of me, two other guards in front of Susan and Peyton. She was still crying out for Greg, who laid down right in front of her. They couldn't even take his body away. I could feel the cold barrel of the gun in John's hand touch my head.

"This is what you Abnegation get for what you have done. Destroying the faction system. Now." The three guns went off at the same time.

I fell to the ground. Blood pooled out my head. My hands were still in Peyton's, but his heart was no longer beating. Susan was dead in front of me.

The last thing I saw...Jeannine walking into an Abnegation house, followed by Beatrice and a muscular Tobias being dragged in behind her. Blood fell from her shoulder.

Then, my whole world went black.