Chapter Two

After my test, I got to leave and go to my next class, where Erudites were.  I sat down in the group of blue, next to a girl I had lived next to my whole life, Jeanine.  Her short blonde hair cut like it always was.

        "How was your last class?"  She asked me, she always liked to know that I did worse than her, to prove that she was the best one in our age group.

        "It was fine.  Took a test that I'm sure I passed."

        "That's good."  She looked over at the Dauntless throwing things.  "So Nicole, what faction do you think we could live without?"

        I was shocked at this kind of question.  "I think they are all useful.  I don't think we could get rid of any of them."

        "That's what I was thinking, they are useful."

        Our teacher came in and told us that today would be a study day.  As per my faction, all Erudites tried to stop this, tried to get him to teach us, but he wouldn't.  Instead, the Erudites of the class all turned our desks around and had a study group about things we had learned in this class.

        "So," Jeanine started, "We all know that the wall is to protect us.  What is it protecting us from?"

        "Well," I said, "There is a theory of a war that we escaped from, and to protect ourselves we made this wall and lived inside of it."

        "I like that theory.  Any others?"

        "One theory states that there was disease going around, and the only way our people survived it, was to run away and build up the wall, so the sick could not reach them.  The theory goes to say that we are waiting for the disease to die out before we go back out there."

        "That one is so elaborate."  I said, wondering how someone could come up with it.

        "Yes," Jeanine said, "But it is plausible."

        We went on like this for the rest of the class, over many subjects.  How we came to be, why we chose to be in factions, why we chose the qualities we did, and so on.  By the end of it, I felt as if I didn't need this class anymore, but I wasn't going to skip.

        The time for lunch had arrived and the large group of blue I always traveled with moved to our usual tables.  We all talked about how the food was no good, and we would just eat at home, but some of us would go up and get food, just to see what it looked like today.  I was one of the girls lucky enough to do this every day.  

        Today's lunch was bread, thankfully not Amity's special one, stuffed with some cheese.  Next to it was a bowl of soup, it looked like vegetable.  Jeanine took the soup and smelt it.

        "Smells like it's been sitting in a pot simmering for a week."  She scoffed, I rolled my eyes.

        "That's because it was sitting in a pot simmering when they scooped it into my bowl."  She eyed me and then lifted up the first piece of bread to examine my cheese.

        "It looks odd."

        "It looks like it was made and not processed, like those pictures in our textbooks."

        "I dare you to take a bite."  She said, eyeing me.