Chapter Twenty-Seven

When we reached Susan's house, Peyton knocked on the door. Susan opened it with an apron on and a duster in hand.

"Mom! Dad! I'm so glad you came!" She said as she moved aside to let us in. I handed her the roses. "Oh mom, they're so beautiful." She walked over to put them on her own windowsill. "Don't you think they're lovely Greg?" She asked. The shock on my face was hard to mask as a new Abnegation member stepped out of the kitchen to look at the flowers. He had a red streak in his black hair and a small hint of tattoo showing under his shirt. A transfer from Dauntless.

"They're gorgeous." Greg said. He walked over and shook both mine and Peyton's hands. "It's great to meet you both. Susan's already told me about you."

"It's great to meet you as well." Peyton said, my shock wouldn't let me speak, just smile at him.

"Mom," Susan said, reading my face, "Can you come and help me quickly in the kitchen?" I nodded and followed her in. She stopped and grabbed the counter behind her. "Say what you need to say. I just want you to know that...I like him." She said the last part quietly.

"I'm just surprised. That's all. I think he's a fine man." I smiled at her. How could I tell her that I wasn't truly okay with her just coming home and getting a man? It took me months to even tell anyone that I liked Peyton. Guess my daughter and I aren't that similar.

I gave her a quick hug before we each took a plate of chicken and peas out to the table. The men were already sitting across from each other when we came out. I sat next to Peyton as I set the plates down.

***

Our dinner was filled with talk about projects that Greg and Susan were thinking of doing, and asking about things that Peyton and I did for our initiation. We also made plans to go as a family to see Robert on Visiting day. I even invited Greg. If Susan liked him, I guess I could try my best to get along with him, though I liked him by the time we left the house and began walking to our humble abode.

"So, that was a shock." Peyton said.

"Yes, but at least he's nice and cares about Susan." I said, slipping my hands into my pockets to protect them from the cold wind. Peyton looked around and slipped his arm in mine, so we were linked. I gave him a questioning look.

"What? A man can't link arms with his wife?" I scanned the roads for those who could have been watching. No lights were on in homes and no one was walking besides us.

"I was just wondering." I said, resting my head on his shoulder. We walked like that for the rest of the way home. He even walked up the stairs holding my hand. When I turned to go to my room after a quick kiss, he pulled me into his arms. I didn't realize I needed that comfort until I was crying. So much emotion had been building up in me, that all it took as a hug to get it all out.

Peyton pulled me into his room and we laid on top of the comforter as I cried, my tears staining the fabric. He kept me in his arms. Even though it wasn't allowed to happen in Abnegation, we fell asleep in the same room. Even while we were trying, we'd leave to our separate rooms after. Tonight was different, and I was glad that we broke this one rule tonight.

That night I dreamed that I was older, and Susan had children of her own. Her and Greg were as happy as ever. Robert came and visited regularly from Amity, letting us meet his wife and children. I was happy. I could feel my face smiling and knew my cheeks would hurt when I woke up, but I didn't care. I wanted to be happy.

***

When I opened my eyes, Peyton was still there. He was sleeping. His hair was squished down on one side from how he was sleeping. The sun had just started to rise in the window. I leaned in and gave him a quick kiss on the nose before getting up to make some breakfast.

It was only when I had just poured the water into the oatmeal that Peyton had come downstairs. We kissed each other's cheek before we sat down to eat. We sat next to eat other, instead of across.

"I can't wait to see Robert again." Peyton said.

"I as well."

"I just hope that he's happy and doing well. Here he was quiet around others."

"I'm sure he's happy where he is. He might even have himself someone, at least after a week it wouldn't be as big a shock as the next day." I said, spooning one of my last bites of oatmeal into my mouth. He smiled at me.

"The council is trying to get a Visiting day for Abnegation. So that way transfers can see their families again before they are fully a part of here."

"I think that's a wonderful idea. I know it would have been good for me to see my parents again."

"It would have been good for a lot of people." He smiled.

After we finished breakfast, Peyton got ready and left for work at the council. I went outside and went to work at the community garden. We made it three years ago. It was between Abnegation and Erudite. Filled with the flowers to represent each faction. We got the seeds and soils from Amity, but Abnegation were the ones who took care of it, since Amity had bigger fields to plow.

I sat on one of the benches by the garden, in front of the Abnegation flowers. I smiled at those who passed by. Most were Erudite and didn't say a word to me. I still didn't fully understand why Erudite hated us, it wasn't like that when I lived there. Yet, that was a whole different time.

A young woman came and sat down by the Erudite flowers. As I looked at her closer, I could see that she wasn't as young as I thought. Maybe Erudite took the life out of her. I knew that their training and tests were getting worse over there. That's because Jeannie like causing people pain. I couldn't tell why, she was just like that.