Chapter Eight

After cleaning up my brother and sending him to rest, I went into the shower myself.  I washed off quickly and raced into my room before my parents could stop me.  With my light off and my covers pulled, I could hear their conversation through the door.

        "Oh Billy, do you think she'll make the right choice?"  my mother asked.

        "Anabelle please, she's our daughter.  We taught her well enough that she will pick the place that is best for her.  Even if it means she will not stay with us."  My father choked up on the last part.  My heart ached hearing my parents talk like this.

        "I do hope she will though.  You know her.  She'll want to make us happy."  My mother was worried.

        "No, I won't allow it.  We know where she belongs, and she will get there."  My father was stern.  Neither of them wanted me to stay for my own good.  But what about them?  Then it hit me.  That is just what my father was worried about for me.  He was worried I would try to make sure they were not sad and stay here, instead of going where I belong.

        I rolled over in my bed, forcing myself to sleep.  Hopefully tomorrow came and went so quickly, that the pain will not hit me.

***

        When I woke up, my mother was feeding my brother, I could hear his giggle.  I got up and changed into my Choosing Ceremony outfit before entering the room.  I gave Eric a big kiss on the forehead and then poured myself a bowl of cereal.  

        "We really want you to pick the best place Nicole."  My mother said softly.  She doesn't know that I heard her and my father speaking last night.

        "I know.  I will."  I replied.  A smile grew on her face.

        When my father came out we all knew it was time to go.  My mother wiped down Eric's face and picked him up.  We all walked out of the house and down the street as a family.  When we reached the building, we stopped to chat with another family.

        "Are you ready to go?"  The woman asked me.  She looked like one of the administers of the test from yesterday, but I can't be sure.

        She and my mother talked about some boy who got sick and had to leave his test.  They thought it was strange.  Not many people got sick from it.  

        We got into the auditorium and my father grabbed my shoulder.

        "Find a place to sit hun, I'll meet up with you."  He told my mother.  She shrugged and walked away with Eric.  Then my father turned to me.  "Nicole.  I know you want to make your mother happy.  But, the Choosing Ceremony is not for her, it's for you."  He poked me in the sternum.

        "I know father."

        "Choose what you want.  Not what she picked.  You are two different people."  He kissed my forehead and walked over to sit with my mother.  I was to sit in the area with all the children.  I sat between two boys.  One from Candor and one from Amity.  I recognized the Candor boy from before, he was the one trying to get us to say we wanted all power.

        "Hey,"  he said, leaning over to me, "Where you going after this?"

        I kept my mouth shut, for the presenter for today was coming onto the stage.  It was a nice Amity girl.  Each year a new person would come and give a speech on why we did the faction system.  

        "We are here today, to see where you belong in the world.  Whether it's with the brave Dauntless (they all cheered), the kind Amity, the smart Erudite, the honest Candor, or the selfless Abnegation.

        "This system was created by our creators to help us thrive in society, and to protect us from what lies beyond the fence."  Half the crowd shivered, including me.  No one really knew what was behind the fence, but no one wanted to find out either.

        "We will begin calling out names from Z to A."  The Amity woman said, she stood in front of the five bowls representing each of the factions.

        "You will slice your hand with a knife, and drop a droplet of your blood into your faction.  Faction before blood."

        "Faction before blood."  All of us chanted after her.

        "There is hot coals for Dauntless, dirt for Amity, water for Erudite, glass for Candor, and gray stones for Abnegation.

        "Please come up, Barry Zuko."

        The Amity boy next to me stood up and walked up on the stage.  He sliced his hand, it looked like it hurt, and then dropped his blood back into the Amity bowl.  

        "Amity."  A large clapping came from the section in yellow, and he walked over to where they sat.

        "Nicole Zimmer."

        I stood slowly, making my way to the stage.  The Amity woman smiled at me with a grin and handed my a new, clean knife.  I stared at all five bowls.  My eyes stayed on the water for a spilt second, before I took the blade to my hand.  I tried my best, but it took a little more for me to actually cut my skin.  I held my hand up, and dropped my blood on the stones, the first droplet to make it there today.

        "Abnegation."  There was no clapping from my new faction.  As I walked down the stairs I was given a bandage to put on my hand.  When I reached the sea of gray the first man hugged me.  I then saw Arthur.  He smiled at me and clapped a hand on my back.

        "Welcome to Abnegation."  he said.