Chapter Four

I unlocked the door to my house and ushered John in.  I couldn't see anyone in the kitchen or the living-room, so I just walked to my bedroom.  I then stopped, remembering that John was there.  I couldn't let him into my room.  For one, it was dirty.  And two, I didn't know him like that.  Instead I walked over to the sink and poured myself a glass of water.

        "Want one?"  I asked, shaking my glass at him.  He nodded.  "Okay, just go and wait on the couch.  I'll be right there."  I said, and he went.

        I was lucky I didn't feel anything for him.  That would have been awkward.  I didn't really know how to approach a guy with that information.  Well, I mean, I knew...I just didn't know how I would go about doing it.  That was my problem.

        John went into my living room and sat on the couch.  Good thing the only one home was me.  I found a note on the fridge telling me that my mother took Eric with her to the store.  So I would be alone with a boy, just great

        "So," I said as I walked in with the water, "What shall we work on first?"  John looked up at me from his textbook he already had set up on the table.

        "I guess just doing all our homework could help us."  

        I groaned inside.  "Okay."  I said cheerfully.

***

        I spent a few hours working on math and English, then history was a breeze.  We always knew everything about this place and what was before it.  Then, it was time for biology.

        "So, the ribs end here."  I said, pointing on my body where it would be.  A knock on the door startled me.  I went over.

        "Hello?"  I asked.

        "It's me honey," my mother called, "Help me with your brother."

        I opened the door and took my brother out of my mother's arms.  She had bags hanging off of her in all places, along with our pull along carriage.  I brought Eric over to the couch to find that John had completed all his homework.  When I looked at my pile, it was also done.  A perk to this faction was getting things done quick and right.

        "Well, thanks for your help Nicole."  John said as he put his stuff away and stood up.

        "No problem.  See you tomorrow."

        "See ya."  Then John left.  My mother was putting away the food, I noticed there wasn't as much food that I liked as usual.  The store must have been out of it.  She looked back at me.

        "Friend of yours?"

        "Yep.  He wanted a study session."  I said, rocking my baby brother.

        "That's nice of you to help him out."  She said, smiling at me.  "Oh, and I heard something at the store you may be interested in."

        "What?"

        "They're changing the test date.  It's tomorrow."

        My jaw dropped.  Tomorrow?  Why so close?  "Why would they do that?"  I asked softly.

        "The leaders think it's a good idea to get people moving now.  Something about waiting too long.  I don't really care.  I know where you will go."

        "And how is that?"  I retorted.

        "I'm your mother, and, I'm an Erudite."  She now had finished with the groceries and took Eric from me.  I went into my room to sit on my bed and think about what I was just told.

        It's tomorrow, I am picking my new home in only two days.  And my mother's comment.  How could she know where I'll go.  Was she telling me that she knows I am not going to stay.  I had hoped so much that I was just worrying too much that she had noticed things like that.

***

       Dinner went by quickly.  I ate, I washed the dishes, then I went into my room.  My mother called out a 'good night dear' as I shut the door.

        Now it was just time to sleep before the day ahead.