Chapter Twelve

I quickly got up and put my shoes on.  I didn't even check to see how I looked, seeing as how there are no mirrors in an Abnegation home.  When I reached the door, I could see the man who had lead us in reading the manifesto yesterday standing there.

        "Hello initiate.  I would like to get your name.  Is that alright?"  He asked in a kind voice.

        "Yes, my name is Nicole."

        "Well Nicole, welcome to Abnegation.  Is this where you are choosing to live for now?"

        "Yes sir."

        "Thank you for helping me.  Today's activities start in an hour.  I'd love to see you there."

        "I wouldn't miss it."  I said back to him as he walked down my stairs and to my neighbors house.  I looked over as Andrew opened the door and answered the same questions to the man.  I waved to him before going back inside.  I took a quick shower, not wanting to use up too much water.  After that I walked into my room and picked out new outfit that was left in my closet.  It was a newer dress, but it still looked used.  I didn't mind, I knew it was clean.  I put my old clothes into the hamper that happened to be next to my door.

        When I went into my kitchen I grabbed a plate and checked my fridge.  The community must have stocked the fridge and cabinets before we got here.  I pulled out some oatmeal.  There was nothing to enhance the flavor, but it didn't taste too bad by itself.

        Cleaning off my bowl, I watched out my window as a family walked down the street.  The two children walked behind their parents, and the mother and father weren't holding hands.  The mother kept making quick looks behind her on her children.  It made me want my own family.

***

        The building I had been in last night was holding the activities.  I could either go with a group to feed the factionless or go around the city picking up trash today.  Since I was already familiar with how the factionless were, I decided to go and pick up some trash.  

        A large group of us all walked around to the nearest factionless spots, picking up old cans and other pieces of trash that covered the ground.  I saw the other group of people going around and feeding them as we cleaned.  I held a large black bag for my group to fill.  There was three of us.  Two picked up trash and one held the bag.  I was put with two younger girls, so I was the only one strong enough to hold the bag when it got full.  

        We walked all the way over to where the Candor area of the city starts.  There was only a few bits a trash that were around.  I told the girls to stay close to me as we walked back home.  They didn't leave my side.  I smiled at all who looked over at us.  They saw the bag and realized why we were over there, waving us off.

        Getting back to Abnegation meant bringing the bag over to the big room in the community building and placing it on the ground.

        "What happens with the trash now?"  I asked the adult in charge.  He turned to me.

        "We wait for a few Dauntless members to come.  They bring the trash on the train and to their compound, where they throw it in the incinerator.  They're the only ones with one in their compound.  Helps them stay warm during winter.  Our way of payment for keeping us safe."  He responded while making sure the bags would not fall.

        "We have to pay them?  Isn't it part of their job to protect us?"  I asked.

        "Well, yes.  But we feel that they shouldn't do all that work for nothing.  They do live under the ground."

        I had no idea how that had to do with the work, but I nodded and left.  I saw an elder standing at the door, he made a check on his clipboard when he saw me leaving the building.  Marking our community services.  I smiled at him as I kept on walking.  As I reached my home, I heard someone calling my name.

        I turned to see Natalie with a load of fruits in her arms.