28: Secrets

Summary;

Previously;
----
She shook her head fondly, before she perked up, her eyes glinting excitedly.

" But anyway, Izuku, I have good news!"

Midoriya hummed as he lifted his glass to his lips to drink.

" I know where the bird aspect of your quirk came from!"

Midoriya choked on his water.
----

Midoriya finds out a bit about where his quirk came from(?) and a training session with Shinso reveals something quite...
worrying.

----

Chapter 28; Secrets

----

" Since when?! And how?!" Midoriya spluttered. Inko smiled.

" Well," she started. " When you asked me where the bird aspect came from, I have to admit that I had little to no idea about where it came from. However, I called my dad - your grandfather - and he told me a little. He said that his father had a brother and their line-"

Midoriya blinked, " Sorry, but hold on. We barely ever see grandad! You don't even like him much. You called him?"

Inko nodded. " Yeah. It's true he's not exactly... great, and I hate being around him, but I could go through a small phone call if it was for you."

" Oh. Thanks, mom," he smiled.

She smiled back. " You're welcome. Anyway, my grandfather's brother - it gets a little confusing here, but bare with me - had a bird quirk, apparently. Because my grandad had a mother who had a bird quirk of some kind and his father had a mutation or something, my grandfather got his father's quirk - and married someone else who had a quirk like mine and it just went down the line - and his brother got his mother's quirk. Understand so far?"

" Yeah, I think so," Midoriya said. " But you could have just stopped it at your (I think?) great-grandmother's quirk. What does it have anything to do with your grandfather's brother?"

" Well, it doesn't really have anything to do with your quirk at this point, but this is where it gets interesting," she smiled excitedly. " My grandfather's brother became a hero! As I said, he had his mother's bird quirk, which gave him wings and a few other aspects of a bird. I think his hero name was Red Wings."

Midoriya grinned. " Really?! Do you know his hero rank?"

" Sadly not," Inko sighed. " All I know about my grandfather's brother was that he became a hero and made his debut around... maybe sixty years ago? Yeah, that's what he said. I remember when he'd visit us he'd always come with his wings hidden and disguised. He was an old man, and was definitely retired, but the press still wanted things about him. He used to describe them as 'pesky sharks who didn't know when to stop.' I don't think he really liked the press." She chuckled.

Midoriya leant back in his chair. " Whoa... So I have a hero as my... what again?"

She smiled. "It is confusing, isn't it? I think it would be your... Great-grand-uncle? If that's a thing..." She laughed. " Your father used to use that word anyway though! He'd use it if we met someone new, if family was brought up, you name it! It was always a funny conversation starter."

Midoriya's blood ran cold, his previous relaxed posture going slightly stiff. He realised then, that he'd eventually have to tell her that, hey, her husband is a villain, and has been since before she had Izuku. And that he had abused him (why hadn't he told her before about it? Maybe he was scared he'd come back. Maybe he didn't even realise what it was. Or maybe there was just never the right time.) And he was one of the people who attacked him at the USJ. But he really didn't want to tell her just yet. It would be awkward and there would never really be a right time, and he couldn't even imagine how heartbroken and betrayed she might feel.