The note

Once I got back to my room door I noticed that it was open a crack. I was confused because I knew I had locked it on the way out this morning. I shrugged it off thinking that maybe the lock was coming loose and opened it up. As I walked in I dropped all of books in a panic.

My jars of herbs and bug collection were gone.

I began tearing through my room looking for my things but had no luck. Someone must have somehow snuck in and took my belongings. I leaned against the wall with tears burning my eyes.

Why am I being targeted by people? Before I knew it I was on the floor sobbing when I heard a knock at my door. I immediately wiped my tears away and got up. I opened my door to see a note taped on. I grabbed it and read it quickly.

Meet me at the edge of the wooded area tonight at 10pm

I felt goosebumps rise up on my skin and the hairs on the back of my neck stand. Is this what happened with stasia? Should I even trust it? The handwriting was absolutely beautiful. It made me think of how a queen would write.

I thought for a moment on what I should do when I realized that maybe the note came from the person who broke into my room. I felt anger coarse through my body and I crumpled up the note. I was going to the edge of the woods tonight and I will get my belongings back.

It had been about an hour before the investigators came to my door. They asked me several questions and then left without another word. I told them that stasia and I had been in an argument last Friday and she left in a hurry. I only hoped that they didn't see me as a suspect. When lunch time finally hit all of the students were allowed out of their dorms to eat. I ran down the halls to look for max.

I saw him in line to grab his tray and I pushed through the other students to reach him. I had to tell him about the note. I grabbed his arm firmly and pulled him out of line.

"Hey!" He exclaimed.

"I'm sorry max. But there's something important I need to talk to you about."

He looked at me with a concerned expression.

"Are you sure it can't wait? I'm hungry." He frowned. I whispered quietly while gripping his arm tighter. I looked him dead in the eyes and said " I think I can find who killed stasia."

I felt Max's arm tense and he nodded. We walked out of the cafeteria and into the courtyard to a table farthest from the rest. We sat down and I started throwing information at him.

"So, when I got back to my room the door was slightly open. I had things missing and then a note taped to my door saying to meet someone at the edge of the wooded area. I think it may be the person who either knows something or killed stasia. I also think they have my belongings."

Max was quiet a moment then leaned back in his chair. "So, what are you going to do?"

I felt my heart pace quicken and I swallowed hard.

"I'm going. But I want you to come with me."

"What!?" Max leaned back far enough to have his chair tip and he hit the ground.

"Y-you can't be serious! That's a death trap! I don't want to lose my life because you're okay with it!"

I looked around to make sure nobody could hear Max's loud mouth. I hushed him trying to get him to lower his voice.

"Please max. My belongings mean a lot to me and I really really need your help. I'll buy you dinner wherever you want if you come along." At this point I was pleading with him.

Max picked up his chair and sighed. "Dinner ANYWHERE?" I nodded.

"Fine. I'll go along but if things go to hell you owe me more than a dinner."

I smiled and knew that tonight would be one of the most dangerous things I've ever done but I couldn't wait.

719 words