The room in the basement

The walls down the stairs to the basement were damp and the further down Lucas and I went the stronger the odd smell became. It was a mixture of incense and mold. Lucas was very quiet as we reached the bottom of the stairs. I caught a glimpse of a corner room with a dimly lit candle on an office desk inside. I tried to peek further in but heard Lucas clear his throat. I whipped my head forward and Lucas gestures to another room. Entering inside I gasped in awe. It looked like a a king's never ending library.

"L-lucas! This is amazing! How did the college not know about this?"

Lucas smiled and grabbed my hand. "Follow me."

We walked around dozens of long winding shelves with several authors I scanned with my eyes in the dimly lit room. William Shakespeare, Charles Dickson, Emily Bronte and many more. We finally reached the back of the room to a wall covered in cracked bricks and a large Van Gogh painting. I looked up at Lucas in confusion.

"So, now what? Is the painting supposed to tell me everything I need to know?" I said sarcastically. Lucas rolled his eyes. He placed his hand over the painting and spoke in what almost sounded like Latin. "quae oculis humanis cant inferis providebit." Seconds later the painting began to shift and the room shook. I grasped onto Lucas's arm as books fell onto the floor and shelves swayed. The painting on the wall split in half opening to another room about the size of cell. Sconces hung on the wall and a small shelf was nailed above a table across from the opening of the room. Lucas walked over and took a seat at the table.

"Now then. You said you wanted to know everything." Lucas grabbed the books off the shelf and dropped them onto the desk.

"Here you go."

I raised my eyebrow at the sight of the old tattered books and scoffed. "Are you serious? You think some old smelly books are going to answer my questions?" I sighed and began to turn away. "I don't even know why I trusted you. You literally wasted my time Lucas." I went to step out when it felt as if the room was spinning. It was if I was going to pass out. I turned to look at Lucas and he was sitting at the chair with one of the books open. Before I could speak my whole body seemed to be sucked away or at least the spirit of me.

431 words