SIX

THE SEAMSTRESS TRULY WORKED her magic. That much was clear as Anastasia watched herself in the mirror, watched the way the dress moved when she did, shifted with every single movement.

    The dress was a deep fuscia, made of tulle all over, with an empire waist and thin straps over her shoulders. It fit like a second, incredibly comfortable skin, and while she knew that the seamstress hadn't liked her a single bit, it was still surprising that she had managed to make a dress that didn't make Anastasia hate the world.

    She hadn't seen what her companions would be wearing, but if her dress was any clue, she thought it was a fair assumption that Jesper and Inej would be clothed in finery as well.

    She sighed, ran her hands over her dress, and turned away from the mirror. Kaz had told her that afternoon that the carriage taking them to the party would be arriving around seven, and the sun was slowly going down outside of the Slat, so it was almost time to leave.

    Anastasia was thankful that the skirt of the dress was so light; not only was it easy to walk in—something she noticed as she held up the skirt and descended the stairs to the foyer—but if something went wrong tonight, she could easily run, or, in the worst case scenario, fight for her life.

    Inej was waiting for her at the bottom of the staircase, wearing a simple and modest dress of dark blue cloth. Her hair was down but pinned away from her face, and her dark brown eyes were lined with kohl.

    "You look..."

    "Saints."

    They spoke at the same time, each with wide eyes as they admired each other.

    Anastasia couldn't help but smile. "Inej, you look wonderful. Truly." She said, reaching for her new friend. "I'm supposed to be the wealthy new bride, but you might take all the attention away from me."

    Inej took her hand and helped her down the last few steps. "I'm not the distraction tonight—you are. We're counting on all the eyes being on you and Jesper, so I'm hoping that you're just lying to boost my ego." She said, nearly blushing at the compliment.

    In lieu of a greeting, Kaz cleared his throat from the doorway. "She's right, Shadow Summoner. You'll be the distraction for the majority of the night, and when the time is right, Inej will cause a bigger distraction. That's when you'll make it dark." He said in his harsh voice.

    It had been almost a month since Anastasia had come to stay at the Slat, but since then, she had yet to see Kaz Brekker even remotely happy. He looked and sounded angry at all times, and she had to wonder if he was truly as miserable as he looked.

    She nodded at him. "I know. I am well aware of the plan." She said coldly.

    "And when the plan ultimately goes to shit?" Jesper was suddenly beside them, eyebrows raised contrarily.

    Anastasia took a breath. "If the plan goes to shit, then you pray to the Saints that I can get you out of it. For tonight, I'm your Saint." She said, a muscle above her eyebrow twitching.

    Jesper snorted, but Inej looked at her with respect. "Normally, I'd call you a blasphemer, but I have a feeling we'll be needing you and all your saintlike capabilities." She said, smiling softly.

⚜︎

    The carriage ride to the merch's house was bumpy and uncomfortable, and despite sitting next to Inej, Anastasia felt like Jesper was far too close. Every time the carriage hit a bump in the road, their knees brushed, and Anastasia cringed away.