9

Megan

I awkwardly hang my body halfway in the car to check my phone for a notification from Beyoncé. I know she's had a rough day at the business this past week and I've been tryna find things to say and do to get her to feel better.

I know I slipped up and said all the things at the wrong time to Beyoncé at our dinner, but I still won't hide how much I care about and love her. If she needs support I'll be here, I promised her that.

A few taps on the hood of my car sends me flying' out until I realize it's Wallace. I huff in annoyance.

"What?"

I hate that this guy is my partner. He reminds me too much of Shawn and I promised myself I would stay away from those types of men.

"I—I—" he stutters and readjusts his glasses. "Um..."

His little moment bought me time to shut off my phone, close the door, and lock my car.

I look to him with a raised brow and crossed arm.

"Nigga, whatever, let's go." I make sure he walks in front of me towards the crime scene so we can get our instructions.

I take the instructions of walking in the barn and checking for signs of struggle and any other unwritten evidence that could help the case.

This some sad ass amityville-like shit.

"So um... what gotchu into this?" Wallace asks.

I don't know what his intentions are, but I'll be nice considering there are other people around.

"Ion know." I respond. "I was always good at findin' out the truth."

"Hmm."

I turn to him as I crouch to see the evidence better.

"What about you?"

"Parents told me to."

"Oh, you close with 'em?" I ask.

He nods.

"Mmm." I hum tryna focus on the work.

My brain hurts from tryna be nice to this man.

"You see this blood here?" I ask.

He nods dumbly.

"Take a picture from down here."

He stutters and pauses.

"What? You ain't know the job required some blood?"

He gulps and finally does as told. Thankfully or I would've had to rip it out of his hand. I'm not wrestling with no man.

I stand when I realize the blood is trailing around out of the back door of the barn. I don't think they documented this. When the case first got opened they just hauled the bodies out of there and taped the property off. No one investigated properly until now. It sucks because we have to confirm and check for more things.