18

Beyoncé

"Bey. Bey. Beyoncé. Beyoncé, yo phone ringing. Baby!" Megan pushes me a bit until I finally wake up.

The call comes up as missed but before I can dial, Julius calls back. My eyes fly open and I take the call in the next room.

"Be back, baby, okay."

"'Kay." Megan looks confused.

I close the door and sit down in the desk of the room and get ready for what new info Julius has uncovered.

"Hello, Beyoncé?"

"Hey."

"Um, we have some new information. Are you seated?"

Just by him saying that I expect to expect the worse. I hear papers and clicking on the other end of the line.

"Jay? Does that ring a bell? Shawn Carter?"

I freeze up.

"Beyoncé?"

"Yes, I'm here on the line."

"Yeah, they seem to be linked. This leads us to believe that the both of you are in danger."

Nothing can thaw me from this position. Tears of anger well up in my eyes. I closed the chapter with Shawn ages ago. I should've known he wasn't done with us since I started to get those letters in prison again. Everything goes into tunnel vision as Julius speaks but I don't hear or process a thing.

I see feet in the crack under the door. Then they go away. Megan. I'm not sure how to break this to her. I don't want to build this relationship on being sneaky and underhanded, but two nervous people isn't gonna go well. Might as well nit tell her.

"Julius, do you know Wallace or whatever's coordinates?" I spit out angrily.

"Yes." He says. "We are actively looking at him, he seems to be in an apartment complex and has been for the past two days. You are fine. We will in immediate touch with you if locations change."

The phrase is and isn't reassuring. I'm sure I'm gonna lose consciousness soon.

"My mother, Solo and Julez, are they okay?" I ask, nibbling on my fingers.

"Yes, their security has reported to them already." He says. "Beyoncé, don't worry, we've got this covered."

Deep down I know to trust Julius because he's kept an eye out for my mother during my 10 years in prison.

"Like I said Beyoncé, I am reporting every detail to you."

I gulp, "Okay, anything else?"

"No, ma'am. Any questions?"

"No. Have a good day, Julius, call you soon."

I hang up and move the end of my hair scarf away from my face. All the breath I was holding in on this call, releases.

"Baby, you okay?" I hear Megan speak on the other side of the door.

"Gimme a second, princess." I respond.

"'Kay." I hear her footsteps leave.

God, what can be done? I thought I was dealing with a fucked in the head, love sick narcissist, not the guy who put Megan and I in prison to serve his wrongdoings.

I just want to know what the fuck else he wants with us. He took advantage of my family's love, hurt Megan, and I couldn't imagine what other people he's gotten wrapped up in issues and trauma.

I take a last huff, stand up and open the door, walking into the kitchen and sit at the table, where Megan has breakfast set out. Her smile gives me the calm I need as I set the phone down and try to forget about it. It's our three day anniversary, I don't want issues right now. I wanna focus on her and our relationship as much as possible.

"Gimme a kiss." I say and lean towards her.

She connects the kiss and I'm reminded that she is all I need. After all, the thought of her got me through three years of not seeing her. She's all I really need.

She lightly says something that is muffled by the kiss and pushes me away for a second.

"It's almost, 9, eat baby." She insists. "Who called?"

I go to open my mouth but she stops me.

"Take a bite first, baby."

I do so and dig into the eggs. One thing I've learned about Megan in these past couple months is that her cooking heals. I close my eyes and embrace every flavor. I did well with this one.

I lift my chin and lick my lips, "So good, Megs."

"Thank you." She smiles and dips her head down.

I figure out between now and five seconds whether I should lie or tell her a portion of the truth. She intently rests her chin on her hand.

"Baby, um... Wallace, they've got his exact location. Still in Houston. But we're still hangin here, 'Kay?"

She nods. I see a bit of worry in her eyes leave and she visibly relaxes.

"Don't worry, told you I was gonna take care of you, baby."

"You do too much, Bey."

"Shut up." I tell her and kiss her again. "Wanna do somethin' today to take our minds off this? Whatever you wanna do."

"I'll join whatever you wanna do today." She says.

I shrug. We're states away and some makeup for disguise wouldn't hurt to take Megan out to downtown Atlanta.

"Anything, princess."

"Aight, we can figure out later, baby."

I nod and look down at my plate with a silent prayer. I hope this doesn't backfire on me.