11

Megan

I get in and run to Beyoncé's room.

She sleeps with her back to the door. The minute I get my shoes off, I attach myself to her.

The department decided to throw a birthday party for one of the cops. Really it was just some wine and cake, but I went after being guilt tripped into doing so.

I've relaxed a bit because Wallace stopped working here since he attacked me a month ago. Apparently it wasn't his first time being a creep so they let him go immediately.

That still doesn't shake the feeling that's been following me all night.

"Mmm." She turns and hums against me. "How was it? You had fu—"

Something hits the window of the bedroom window. My heart drops to my stomach.

Beyoncé lives on the 10th floor.

"Fucks that?" She blurts.

I'm already high on edge. She turns on her bedside lamp and gets up. I stay in bed, hugging my knees, watching her from here. God forbid I see something and can't sleep.

Beyoncé moves the curtain aside and looks around. Some of the light from the streets below bleed in.

"Oh, it just looks like a storm, don't worry." She kisses my cheek as she slips back under the covers.

For a second I stare at her and feel dumb. I wanna believe my guy so bad, but I also can't tell if it's the trauma that's forbidding me from moving on.

"Imma change." I say.

It's a few seconds before I move a muscle though. Beyoncé keeps her eyes on the ceiling as I change in her bathroom with the door opened. It takes me a while with the cast.

"So..." she starts. "What's up with you, Megs?"

"Hmm?" I grab my bonnet and put it on.

She turns towards me, moving the blanket over, and patting my spot so I can join her.

"You came in here all panicked and shit. Somethin' happen at the party?"

I lay back and huff. I'd rather not say. I don't wanna sound dumb.

"Nah." I respond. "Just had a few shots."

There you go again. Blamin' it on the alcohol.

After I got out of prison there was a period of time where I was convinced he was out to get me. I'd completely made an escape plan where I had extra money available to get a same day flight to any state on the east coast. It was another level of paranoia that also began when the abuse with Shawn started.

Beyoncé holds my hand and gives it a reaffirming squeeze.

"Yo outfit was cute as hell." She says.

I smile hard.

It seems like Beyoncé always has the cure. She is the cure.

"Thank you, Beyoncé."

She nudges me playfully, "Full names now?"

"Shut up."

"Yo arm feelin' better?"

I nod.

She pulls me a bit closer.

"Damn, you musta missed me."

"Don't act like you didn't." She says and that shuts me right up.

I turn onto my stomach as best I can resting my chin on her shoulder. As a matter of fact my entire body is starting to pulse.

"Can I kiss you?" She asks quietly.

I raise my brows. I want it too.

I lean in without hesitation and sink in. We fit eachother perfectly in this moment. She calms every ounce of anxiety in me with this one touch.

Afterwards I lean my forehead on hers and close my eyes.

"Ight, getcha ass to sleep." She pats the side of my face.

I pretend to act offended and bring the blanket up to my shoulders.

"Oh, my poor baby."

"Bey! Shut the fuck up!" I laugh into her and I can feel her big ass smile on me.

I didn't think it was possible for feelings to be amplified honestly. I love Beyoncé so fucking much. The shit I would give for us to be official.

_____

I walk into the office with the coffees, and I nearly drop the tray as someone familiar stops me to grab a cup.

Wallace sits against the doorway with his leg kicked over and a smirk.

My face is hot. Why did they let his ass back in here after what he did? He broke my fucking arm.

"Get away from me." I mug him and find somewhere to set this tray so I can go to my cubicle in peace.

"Look, Megan."

"Get away." I turn and tell him.

Beyoncé and Kehlani were right. I should punch his ass.

He lifts his hands innocently in surrender. He is so painfully like Shawn. It's taking full restraint for me not to tear him up right here. Papers and documents flying.

I turn my back and go into my cubicle. Next thing I know he's following me in and I hear something metal and a click.

I turn around, my hand on my desk.

He points the knife at me and I lean back against the wall of the cubicle. My heart pounds heavily.

I want to melt into the ground. I feel as though I put myself in this position.

"What the hell man?" My voice shakes as my heart makes it way to my throat.

"Listen, Megan, I ain't even wanna do it like this..."