Chapter 23: "It's Never Too Late"

"It's time."

Shisui announced to the family, he was told by Jiraiya to bring the Uchihas with him as the immediate family of Sakura — if she ever needs support or reassurance that she is safe. He knew that it was Tsunade that told Jiraiya to do it, Tsunade would've been there as well as Mikoto but Mebuki regained her consciousness earlier on that day. They have to say with her and so it was up to Fugaku, Itachi, and Sasuke to fill in their spot.

Fugaku nodded, his face is stern and glancing slightly at his youngest. His oldest, Itachi, threw a worried glance at Sasuke as well.

Of course, he knows that Sasuke won't do anything reckless after their small talk but he knew better than to underestimate his impulsiveness. Sakura is one of his precious people after all.

Sasuke stared at Shisui, he felt nothing and everything at the same time. It has been two days since Haku's interrogation and he had been thinking about Sakura non-stop. He just wanted to hug her and be there for her, listen and give her whatever she needs. She will never be out of his sight again.

"I know you want to see her but you have to stay in the car with Uncle Fugaku and Itachi. I have several of my squad to look after you. You will only be there if she ever needs someone that she trusts but under no circumstances that you will act to your own accord." His older cousin explained thoroughly and he found himself nodding and agreeing to his terms.

"Don't worry about Sasuke, I'm sure he'll be on his greatest behavior besides father and I will be there with him," Itachi assured Sasuke, knowing that his brother would behave properly even if it is against his instincts or urge to save and protect Sakura, "Worry about your operation."

Fugaku nodded this time and joined in the conversation, "Itachi's right Shisui, the operation is a hard and dangerous one. You should be preparing for it, I can assure you that Sasuke will be safe with us."

Shisui sighed a worried look on his face, "I'm sorry, Sasuke-chan, I didn't mean to imply something but I'm just afraid that something will go wrong."

"I know Shisui. I'll stay behind unless I'm needed."

"Thank you." The curly-haired Uchiha bowed at them, "I'll wait for you in the station. The others will escort you to a place where you can see their hideout but not close enough to bring you harm."

Fugaku nodded once more and Shisui departed but not after he took one last glance at Sasuke, who's currently distracted to notice the worried and sad glance that his older cousin threw at him.

Shisui had heard from Itachi how Sasuke took all of this and how devastated he was knowing that he can't do a thing to save her but to wait. Something that Sasuke never really did – to wait. As far as Shisui remembers, Sasuke always comes to Sakura's aid when she's in need, but now deems it to be a different scenario.

--- You're Mine, Only Mine ---

Tsunade and Mikoto wait anxiously for Mebuki to say at least just one word. She had been awake for the last 2 hours now but she hadn't asked anything yet nor said a thing.

Mikoto's getting worried every single second that has passed, she knows that she's partly the reason why Sakura's been abducted – Mikoto kept telling herself that it was her carelessness but Tsunade reasoned out to her that she couldn't possibly know that Gato already has eyes and ears at Sakura.

During the past few days, the Uchiha matriarch had realized that the moment that the Haruno knew about Gato's business, there was no going back. Due to his nephews position in the Konoha Police Force, she and her family have been informed that Gato usually does this with those people who had uncovered or known about his underground businesses, there's a lot of missing people cases that ended up a dead end and so she can't even begin to wonder how lucky the Haruno's are.