Chapter 22: "Paroxysm"

"Sasuke?" A toned-down voice of someone he knew so well has interrupted him contemplating, "Why are you here?"

Naruto sits down beside him, he hadn't expected to see Sasuke at their usual spot at the park, he didn't expect to see him at all. Besides the fact that he is suspended from the school because his little fight against Sasori, Naruto thought that the young Uchiha is busy as he is included in the progress about Sakura's abduction. Although he got to admit that he missed the raven-haired.

"Hn." And maybe Naruto regretted thinking that he missed the bastard.

The blonde sigh inwardly, "How's everything about Sakura?"

'He's sulking and moping more than usual so... Maybe it isn't the right time to ask for that...' He thought to himself.

"She's..." Sasuke frowned causing his eyebrows to furrow, he seems to be finding the right words, "... She'll be fine."

Naruto was about to beam in glee until he had heard the next two words that left his friend's mouth, "I hope."

This caused the blonde to looked at him furiously, "Are you losing hope, teme?!" His hands unconsciously reached out to Sasuke's shoulders, squeezing it hard. "Why does it sounds like you are giving up on her?"

Said teen rolled his eyes, "Tsch. You don't understand."

"Cut that crap on me!"

"Do you?"

"Of course I do! I understand that you—"

Sasuke scoffed interrupting Naruto's oh-so-inspirational message, "Do you?"

Naruto frowned at Sasuke, baffled on the repeated question.

"Do you understand my point of view?"

"Of cou—"

"A boyfriend who didn't protect her girlfriend from harm when he was supposed to do?" Sasuke levelled his gaze to Naruto who rolled his eyes. "Are you really concerned about Sakura? Or you're just babbling because she's your girlfriend?"

The blonde expected that the Uchiha before him would burst into anger only to do the exact opposite. Sasuke lowered his gaze and looked away from him, his bangs covered his obsidians disallowing Naruto to peek on his emotions.

"Everyone thinks like that." He cursed to himself, "Is it my fault that I can't express my feelings correctly?"

Naruto opened his mouth to voice a reply only to be cut off again.

"Is it my fault that I don't react as you all do?"

"Sasuke..."

"Is it my fault that I can't untangle myself from my own guilt and pain?" Sasuke's fists curled on his lap, his body trembled slightly.

"Sasu—"

"Shut up." His voice coarser than before, "I'm hurting too."

Naruto's began to realize what was happening to Sasuke, he is his best friend he was supposed to be there when everyone's busy. He should have been there for Sasuke too.

"Sakura... All I ever wanted for her is to be safe and happy." Sasuke started again, this is his way of opening up, Naruto knows.

"That's why the moment I heard that Sasori got his eyes on her, I unconsciously reacted. I was jealous and beyond that, I was worried that he'll hurt her. And he did. My brother did. I guess that counts me as well." Sasuke knows that Naruto didn't know about the deal between Itachi and Sasori if he knew he would be against it as well.