vii.

1st April 2020

April is the best month. Or used to be the best month. Until Sanjhana died.

That day was the worst day of my life. I didn't speak to anyone; except for the police officer. Too guilt-ridden, which I still am, I choose silence. I choose staying quiet instead of telling my friends that it was my fault that she died.

They say denial is the first stage. They are wrong. Shock is the first stage. When you know someone is going to die, you can prepare yourself for it. But what happens when they suddenly die? I spent half-day processing the news. Radhika and Akash did try to say something, but they gave up soon as they were grieving too. Samjhana was after all, our good friend.

I don't even remember what they told me. Even today it's a blur. I just kept walking around the campsite all day, trying to process the news. Every time I heard a rumour about what must have happened, the shock hit with the same force it had the first time. A hollow numb feeling filled my chest.

My mind kept repeating only a single sentence, Sanjhana is dead. My heart still expected Sanjhana to jump from the bushes and say April fools. But she didn't. She never came back.

When I finally realized she wasn't coming back, it was nighttime. Even a year later, I have no idea what I did the entire day. Did I eat? Did I take a bath? Did I even change clothes?

Guilt. The only feeling which was running through my nerves was guilt.

 The only feeling which was running through my nerves was guilt