Chapter 1

Ten years. Aston had been beta of his pack for almost ten years when his alpha lost his mate. She didn't die from rogues, she didn't die from a rival pack, she died in the flood. Aston felt somewhat responsible, he was the one who ordered her group downstream. He also wasn't to blame either. He knew their position was outside of the flood zone, it was his alpha that told her to search near the river for stray fishermen. He warned his alpha not to do it, but the man was hardened by fear.

It had been a whole new world for everyone when they discovered Sam. Even today they weren't completely sure of what she was, only that she had an intimate connection to the spirits around them. That was something not even the elves had.

Aston had been born a shifter. At that time the other creatures like Elves and Fairies had kept their existence hidden from the world due to man's inability to coexist. When he was 20 was when they came out of hiding, determined to assess the outside world and let their magic be seen.

Mankind wasn't ready for their arrival. Their leaders devised a plan to eradicate them by a biological weapon, unfortunately for them it caused one of the deadliest pandemics for their own kind. They underestimated the healing capabilities of the other races, allowing non humankind to flourish.

Wars with the shifters over territory ensued shortly after, and while the world went to war over religion they were slaughtering each other over one lone shifter crossing into another territory. It was then that Aston began his crusade.

It took almost fifty years to bring all the packs together, to this day all but one joined them. His alpha, Kyle, like always, resolved to remaining ignorant on what his beta was doing. And it cost him everything he loved.

Aston told him what the two were planning, so he knew they were going to break the dam. He didn't expect it to happen so soon. The pack was going to move in a few months anyway, after the school year had ended. But when the alpha lost her, he moved them sooner. He wanted to be as far away from there as possible.

It wasn't an easy time for any of them. He had taken over most of the alpha's duties by that point but whatever Kyle said still went.

Aston had convinced the elves to take over, he knew they were capable. He remembered Kyle's anger, his alpha should've been making the negotiations. He should have been the one to convince the elves to help, but he was too prideful and heartbroken. They should have stayed, they should have helped.

The elves knew it wasn't his choice, and Aston had made sure to leave a few of his pack members behind to help clean up the wreckage of the flood. They were thankful, the alpha on the other hand was furious.

He had to beg the elves not to retaliate against him for what the alpha did. Kyle gave him the scar, letting his wolf rage against his beta until he was close to death. Aston still shuddered when he saw himself in the mirror. Three deep gashes could still be seen across his chest.

That was when his pack turned against him. They were furious with what Kyle had done. They grew more rebellious and dared to defy Kyle in almost all decisions. When Kyle said something, Aston had to repeat it to them to keep him happy.

When they finally had all moved, and the clean up of what was left of the lake was finished, the alpha hid himself away. He refused to do any work for the pack, leaving it all in Astons hands. Aston grimaced as he ran his finger over one of the scars.

It was worth it, he told himself. I'm glad I took the hit for them.

He sighed, grabbing one of his shirts and throwing it on. He knew it would be another long day, but his escape from pack life was worth it. He was glad to be the English teacher at the college nearby, it gave him time to work away from the pack, and extra freedom to get his mind away. He'd been there for a year already, and today was the first day of his second year.