Chapter 9

Running. That's all Kyle could remember. He wasn't running from the pack, he was running from the darkness that chased him. Red eyes growled, following him no matter how fast he ran.

Kyle... the voice called him.

He couldn't fight it. He was angry, betrayed by his own pack. But he knew he was to blame.

"Leave me alone!" He snarled. But it kept coming. It grew closer and closer. His legs ached, his chest burned, but he couldn't forget those eyes.

Darkness crept upon him. He cried for his lost mate, he knew it was his fault. Everything that happened was his fault. He ran until he couldn't run anymore, he was resting on the edge of a cliff, raging currents flowed below.

The darkness paused.

Kill the bitch... he remembered that voice.

It was the voice that was his undoing. Ten years ago he heard that voice calling out to him as the river raged.

The bitch must die...

He looked into the river, seeing his reflection.

No...

He looked closer at the reflection. He'd been running from the one thing he couldn't ever run from.

His father.

Kyle... the darkness called. He shook his head.

"Get out of my head!" He snarled.

You killed them Kyle...

"No!"

You slit his throat... you let the flood take your mate... it's all your fault...

"No!" He cried. He felt the tears burning his face. His reflection grew, the water rose. He backed away. He knew it was his fault. He was responsible for everyone, but he let them down. He let his father down. He let his mate down. It was all his fault. He walked right into the darkness.