[55] Hesitate

You thought about his words, replaying them in your head over and over. You were hesitant, but why would you be? He was the one who took care of you as a young child. He was the one who filled your quiet and empty house with laughter. He was the only one you trusted, which was something you couldn't even give to your own parents.

However, going with him would mean leaving behind Killua and Alluka, your first friends, and your second family. Going with him would mean going against Ryu and Senka, who have been hunting him all along.  

You frowned as a thought came to mind. 'Why are Ryu and Senka even hunting him down?' The only possible answer is that he did some heinous crime, but the brother you know would never do something like that. 

"You've gone silent, (Y/N)." 

Your eyes widened as you quickly snapped out of your thoughts. 

(B/N) furrowed his brow. "I think I get it." He steps closer, looking down on your troubled face. "You're wondering what I did that resulted in me being hunted, right?" He smiles. 

You averted your gaze. "Ryu and Senka are my friends... I didn't wanna doubt them–"

"But (Y/N)." He bent forward a little to meet your gaze. "Do you really think I'd do anything bad?" he asks, tilting his head to the side. 

You looked up at him with widened eyes. "N-No, of course, you wouldn't," you say, shaking your head.  

He smiles again, this time wider. "There you have it!" he says, standing up straight once more. "What they're doing is a big mistake. That's all there is to it." 

You nodded weakly, convincing yourself that he was right. 

"So–" Your brother stretches out a hand to you. "Let's go?"

You stare at his outstretched hand, a look of uncertainty crossing your features. If he asked you this nine years ago, you would have taken his hand in a heartbeat, wearing a huge smile on your face. But now, you couldn't help but think about who you would be leaving behind. They were people who understood you, who made you the happiest you've been in a long time. 

Your hand was just a few inches from touching his. You frowned. 'Maybe I should talk to Killua first? Surely, he'd understand, right?' you told yourself, even though a part of you hoped he would be against it. 

You weren't given much time to think, however. Amidst your internal conflict, you feel a sudden burst of malicious intent. You snapped out of your thoughts, eyes widened in shock as a familiar, unsettling feeling welled up inside you. On instinct, you protected yourself with Ten, not wanting to feel as if needles were pricking your skin again. 

The aura did not come from your brother. In fact, a look of anger and annoyance crossed his features, which was something you never saw from him before. 

You searched for the source of malicious intent. It was close by, just behind a thicket of trees from where you and your brother are. You clenched your jaw, knowing right away whose aura it was. 

"Hisoka..." you mumbled. 

(B/N) looked at you through the corner of his eye. 'So they've met already, huh...'  he thought to himself, his murderous glare never softening. 

As those familiar feelings of uneasiness settled in, you wanted to take a step back. Memories of your encounter with him flashed by, leaving you just as confused and upset as that time.

"(Y/N)," your brother spoke to you. It was almost scary how well he hid his feelings of wrath from you as he gave you a small smile. "I'll take care of him. You get away from here as fast as possible."

"B-But–"

"(Y/N)." He almost glared at you. "Hisoka's a guy you should stay away from. Surely you know that much, right?" 

You looked down and nodded, remembering Killua's words. 

Your brother chuckles and pats you on the head. "I still haven't received an answer from you," he says. "But when you do, you know where to find me, okay?" He gave you a slight push. "Now go."

You took a step back, then another. The next thing you knew, you were far away from the scene, until you were completely out of sight. 

(B/N)'s gentle brotherly aura dropped completely as he watched Hisoka emerge from the trees.

"What do you think you're doing?" (B/N)'s tone was seething with anger.

Hisoka only chuckled. "Who knew my little (Y/N) had a big brother? ♢" He smirks. "And to think it was you, Sanguis."

Sanguis scoffed. "This should be enough for you to finally back off. Don't you think, you clown?" He retaliated. 

"Oh, dear Sanguis~" Hisoka stepped closer. "I'm afraid you're sorely mistaken. ♡"

_ _ _

You were resting against a tree, completely out of breath and in a state of extreme confusion and distress. You were clutching your head as a loud ringing in your ears was all you could hear. 

After finally calming down, another presence makes its way toward you. On instinct, you went into a fighting stance, but immediately relaxed after knowing whose it was. 

"Ryu...?" you called out.

Sure enough, Ryu emerged, looking more agitated than usual. "(Y/N)!" He runs over to you. "There you are!" 

You sighed in relief, feeling all the tension wash away. 

"Oi, why are you covered in cuts?!" Ryu turns you around, before letting out a deep sigh as he shook his head. "I can see Killua going berserk already."

"I'm fine, I'm fine! Really! I don't think Killua's gonna go berserk over something like this." You wave your hands around in an attempt to reassure him. "Where's Senka, anyways? It's odd for you two to be separated."

Ryu points behind him with his thumb. "She's looking for Killua."

"What?!" Your eyes widened. "Why would she be looking for him?"

Ryu narrows his eyes at you. "Because you went and chased after Sanguis, so of course he would go look for you here."

"Oh..." you smiled sheepishly at him, scratching the back of your head. "...Sorry about that! You guys had a plan and everything..." you say, trying to hide how worried you were getting. 

"Right. Well, at least we finally confirmed that he's here." Ryu shrugs, before turning his back and walking. " And now that you're here, let's go to where Senka is." He looks back at you through the corner of his eye. "I'm pretty sure you'd want to see Killua by now."

You nodded profusely, catching up with Ryu. 

_ _ _

You both found Killua and Senka. 

Hiding behind some bushes with your Zetsu activated, you were almost shivering from worry, itching to go there yourself. Alluka was right beside you, sobbing silently against your chest. Ryu wasn't any better. His eyes were wide and all the blood drained from his face as he clenched his fists so hard that his knuckles turned white. It was taking all of his willpower to rush in as well. 

You patted Alluka's head, looking back at the situation. Illumi, the man with empty eyes and long hair, still stood tall, despite the number of injuries he sustained. Killua was right in front of him, struggling to keep up as blood dripped off his lip. 

Killua was actively trying to protect something as he held a hand out to stop Illumi from getting closer. Looking right behind Killua, you saw Senka leaning against a tree trunk, completely knocked out cold as blood dripped down from her head. 

You looked back at Ryu, who looked like he wanted to cry.