Chapter 4

I stood in the shower allowing the cold streams of water to beat on my back, a rhythm I was quite familiar with. A rhythm that I enjoyed. I took this time to think while passing the wet, soapy washcloth over my soaked body. I thought about my parents and Mr. and Mrs. Ricci and what they could possibly be getting from Luca and I's union. I thought about Luca and myself and what the future might hold for us. I thought about my freedom. Would my freedom get lost in the shadows of my 'marriage'? Would I have to cook and clean and perform 'wifely duties' for Luca?  Was I expected to bare his children?  All these questions and more raced through my mind at the speed of light; drumming up a slight headache. The question that was louder than all the others in my head was: Do I really want to go through with this?

After rinsing the soap from my self I exited the shower to find a sundress laid out for me. Upon further inspection of the bed, I noticed that even my underwear was picked out and put on the bed neatly. Did my mother simply forget that I am a grown woman who is completely capable of picking out her own clothes and underwear?

I decided to be petty. I picked the sundress and underwear up and put them back into their respective compartments. I then picked out a black top, a pair of jeans, and underwear and quickly put them on with a pair of black sneakers. Satisfied with my look I picked up my handbag filled with my essentials and walked downstairs to meet my mother.

As I arrived downstairs I stood before my mother a proud smirk etched on my face. She looked almost pale as if she would soon pass out. " Uh uh uh darling where is that beautiful sundress that I picked out for you?  You know we are going to Rebecca's beauty salon now and I want you to look just perfect." she forced out with an obviously plastic smile plastered across her face

I wondered why she was forcing a smile when it was just her and I in the house. I did this to get an explosive reaction, not a fake smile.  

It was then that I noticed Luca's mother was there.

So that's why my mom was being so fake nice. That poser.

" Well mother I quite like the outfit that I have on, now if you don't mind I'd like to get a move on." 

Without waiting for a response from either of the two women I strutted away towards my garage and into my car. Wordlessly the two women entered my car and we drove away from my house toward the beauty salon where a large chunk of my day would be spent.

The drive to the salon was awkward, to say the least as neither one of the two women who occupied the back seats of my car dared to utter a word.

As we all entered the salon my mother and Mrs. Ricci greeted Rebeccah and engaged in conversation. I said hello and went to the receptionist to clarify that I was here and on time for my appointment. She pointed me towards the stylist I had an appointment with.

I walked over to her and took a seat after accepting her warm greeting. " Do you mind if I turn on the tv?" she asked

"No, I don't mind," I said 

Smiling she turned the tv on. 

" Playboy billionaire Luca Ricci soon to be married to business owner Vanessa Mitchell was spotted last night at the Lif Club with his ex-girlfriend Samantha Luther getting very touchy-feely. What does his future wife think about all of this? Does she even know?-"

"Turn that off right now!!", Mrs. Ricci yelled at the stylist 

She scrambled to power off the television while I sat there in shock. This was the man I was supposed to get married to in a few hours. Was this what I'd have to put up with for the next year?

"Hurry up and finish my daughter's hair we have other things to do today." my mother coaxed

The stylist quickly finished my hair and did my manicure and pedicure then we went on our way back to my house to meet the stylist and the bridesmaids who were picked out by my mother and Mrs. Ricci. Some were family of Luca and some were my cousins who have never spoken to me before.

My house was full of bustle and chatter and it raised my blood pressure every time someone got near to my antiques. My mother wasn't making my mood any better she was insufferable. 

I went into my room to escape all the noise and the frustration. 5 minutes into hiding my mother entered my room wedding dress in hand and the makeup team following her lead. 

As soon as the makeup team spotted me sitting at my vanity they basically attacked me with makeup, brushes, lipsticks, and lipglosses. By the time they were done with me, I only had enough time to slip into the dress.

After putting on the dress my mother insisted upon taking a ridiculous amount of pictures.

She then ushered me outside to the limousine that was already occupied by the bridesmaids.

As the door closed behind me the driver sped off towards the church. 

10 minutes later when we arrived in front of the church I noticed that reporters and paparazzi were literally everywhere on the venue, they screamed questions at the limo.

As soon as the limo parked at its designated spot bodyguards moved to open my door and make a pathway in the sea of reporters for me to walk. Head held high I walked into the church ignoring the questions that they would throw at me.

My father met me at the door and began to gush about my looks. I thanked him, a genuine smile plastered on my face. Before I knew it the wedding planner came to alert us that the time for me to march in was approaching. For a second I almost forgot what I had seen on the television at the salon. I almost forgot that I wasn't marrying the man I loved. I almost forgot that even before I got married I was planning to get divorced.

The beauty of the place and the smile on my father's face almost made me forget it all.