XLIX

Erk's rib took a little while to fully recover, the giant having expended a lot of energy the night of Cassandra's rescue. Cook came over to work on it, Tito eventually stopped his massages and we went on patrol without Kitty, who was complaining a bit but would take the opportunity to cuddle her sister.

On Durrani's side, things were very calm so far. It looked like he hadn't reacted to the horse joke. Maybe so he wouldn't lose face?

Lin wanted to take the next step. So, while we were walking around, making friends with the locals, lending a hand when needed, I know that up there on the promontory, Lin and Fatso were looking, among all the ideas our imaginative brains had provided, for which of those would be the most likely to freak out Durrani and make him react. Even though Erk disagreed, the end goal, just before Durrani was eliminated, was to make him look like a bastard, not a martyr.

While waiting for them to come up with the right idea, we reconnected with our villagers. Dina, the pretty Dina, married to a man so in love with her that, if Erk had spent a little special time with his wife in his own bed – which he never would, of course – he would bring him breakfast in bed the next day, Dina, then, when she saw us with, finally, the giant among us, rushed to be the first to kiss him. As with Katja, he lifter her in his arms, making her squeal in surprise, and kissed her back. On the cheek, let me specify. Dina is just as much in love with her husband that he is with her.

The children were next and Erk told them that he hadn't come sooner because he had hurt himself while saving a little girl. This increased their volume and the number of questions asked per minute. He gave them "the look" and they instantly calmed down. This guy is amazing. He's huge, he has a voice that carries over when he wants it, he's powerful, he's covered in weapons and yet the kids know he won't hurt them and they idolize him.

Of course, hearing about a new little girl got them excited. They wanted to know what she looked like, what her name was.
- She's blonde, with blue eyes, he replied.
- Like you?
- That's right, just like me, beard and all.

The kids laughed.
- Girls don't have beards, said one.
- Wait until they grow up...
- No, look at the tall one, there, she has no beard.
- Maybe, Baby Jane said, playing along Erk's game, I shave every morning, like Kris.

There they shut up. Then one of them said their mom doesn't shave, so that meant Baby Jane was having fun with them.
- Now there's an observant kid, remarked the Viking.
- Say, Erk, can she come play with us?

There he was stumped. Kris saved the day by saying they would ask her big sister and the boss. No matter how much we trust our villagers, we didn't tell them who the Company Commander was. They do not know anything that could endanger them or cause them to betray us to save their skin or their loved ones.

We were quite unlucky on this patrol. The rains resumed without interruption and, despite wearing the ponchos, oiled cotton rain capes, Australian raincoat type, the water kept seeping in the smallest space and, in the end, we were drenched to the skin.

We had learned to line our backpacks with trash bags (big and cheap) to protect our things if we were to cross a river – or get drenched with rain – and at least the blankets were dry.

But after four days, even they started to get a little damp from drying us out.

The first night, we slept under the stars (hum...), we hung some of the ponchos above us, put some on the ground and tried to make a fire. But we got squat! We were able to have a hot meal because the rations have a built-in warming system, but macache for hot coffee at breakfast.

The second evening, we slept again under the stars (hum again...) and the conditions were worse. We were huddled together under the ponchos, except the sentries, and we dozed more than anything else.