L

We returned to base, colder in this rainy February than in the supposedly colder December. But the ceaseless rains had something to do with it. The dry cold is easier to bear, in my opinion.

Despite Erk's brennivin tea and the warm, dry night in the cave, we all had a case of the sniffles. Except the brothers, of fucking course. They are more resistant to the cold than we are. Our return was a concert of sneezing. Even Yaka did it, which worried us, as we didn't have a vet.
- Come on, now, said Kris, don't tell me she's sick, too.
- I don't think so, JD replied, taking the dog's pretty, slender head in his hands and staring at her.
- She's just imitating us, she finds it funny.
- So she's making fun of us, Quenotte said and sneezed lustily.

And Yaka imitated him. And kept doing it. Each of our sneezes had its echo from her. And when we turned to her, feigning annoyance, she would give us that expression of astonished innocence dogs do so perfectly.

It's a good thing she was here to get a laugh out of us, because the journey back seemed endless to us. We had a quick break at noon, then off we were again, it was difficult and we couldn't wait to get home. We could see the promontory but it seemed to be moving away from us more than getting closer.

We were putting one foot in front of the other in a kind of daze, walking out of habit and because it kept us warm. We were all more or less shivering. We dragged ourselves on the rutted path, being careful not to twist an ankle, on top of everything.

Suddenly Yaka ran ahead, barking twice, which meant there was nothing serious. If she had smelled an enemy, she wouldn't have barked, to not give us away, she would have warned JD through their link which was getting stronger. Or she would have growled.

JD looked up later and announced that we were expected at the village.

Indeed, when we finally reached it, our villagers were waiting for us with hot soup in the village hall, where the major decisions were made. Being out of the rain, even for a few minutes, was heavenly.

Seeing Tito shivering so much he couldn't drink, I took his bowl of soup and held it still so he could have a go at the warm broth. I was rather worried, he hadn't stopped shivering since we had left the cave in the morning. Before... before the Icelanders came, we weren't going out as much. I couldn't rely on "before" to determine if Tito was more fragile, weaker or sicker than previously. I touched his forehead.
- You're burning hot, Tito!
- Your hands are ice cold, Tudic, he said at the same time and we chuckled.

Of course, for my frozen hands his forehead was hot.

Baby Jane was also shivering and it was Kris who was making her drink, while Erk got updated by the village chief on the damage caused by the rains. We would have to come back after they stop to help drain the fields or repair the mill and the road.

We left. And the benefits of the soup evaporated a hundred meters after leaving the hall. Erk call the Ops room to have Doc prepare sick bay for five snifflers.

There, he sneezed. Six snifflers. Kris, who was making fun of him, sneezed too. Seven snifflers. Mike laughed and confirmed Doc was expecting us.

Usually, in winter, we don't heat our rooms since we only sleep in them. We barely heat the mess hall, as the residual heat from the kitchen is usually enough for heat, along with our human warmth. Sick bay is heated, however, especially if it's occupied. And, of course, the showers. The Ops room, where the guys on duty are stationary, is heated by the generator in the next room (there is a large vent in the wall, to let the warm air through. And the nice diesel smell that goes with the generator).

To heat the rooms that need it, we have small oil-bath type electric heaters, the improved models. And if that's not enough, we have hot water bottles for the cold-susceptible ones, to put under the blankets, knowing that in winter we have double the luxury blankets. Once warmed up, we usually sleep pretty well. The rough part is getting up at dawn, in the cold rooms, but then we don't linger in bed and rush to the showers to be warm.