LXXXVII

The next day, the R&Rs left after lunch, we devoured the marvelous orange Provence stew that Cook had us make for dinner and got back to bed, with the hope that the next day Erk could finally Heal us and that the itching caused by staples or mending flesh would cease.

Well, if I gloss over it, it's because the day has not been very exciting. Well, not too much. Especially after our own little personal Fort Alamo.

We got up, I was still a bit stiff but I was able to get out of Lin's bed by myself and almost get dressed by myself. My leg was better, but my arm was still hurting.

After breakfast, we helped Cook and Mustard in the kitchen, making salads, quiches, savory and sweet pies and as the vegetable garden was going at full tilt, we had fresh fruits and vegetables and it was a real pleasure.

Just before going to eat, we put the stew to cook. Erk and I were still sitting, watching Yaka or chatting with our comrades. Kris, Kitty, Tito and JD carefully drained the beef, then browned it in olive oil, then put it back in the marinade and they simmered it very slowly, according to the instructions of Cook who was drinking a coffee with Mustard and both of us crippled.

Since Tito, JD, and Quenotte hadn't been Healed by Erk yet, the ones doing the heavy lifting -pots and all- were Baby Jane, Kitty, and Kris.

There were quite a few of us in the kitchen, but Cook and Mustard seemed to appreciate the rest. Mustard came to sit and lean against Erk, who put an arm around her shoulders.

- You all right, sweetheart ?

He calls all the women sweetheart, except Lin. I am the one who calls Lin sweetheart. It's my little privilege.

- Yes, Erk. I'm glad to have you here. And I can't wait for Ketchup to come back.

- Oh?

I saw the giant glance at Cook, who was staring intently at the bottom of his mug.

- He won't say it, but he misses her.

- Mustard...

- Well, that's true! And you have the right to want her back soon.

- Yes, but...

- Cook, we're a family, aren't we?

He nodded.

- So, as a family, we help each other. We support each other. So, I tell Erk and Archer that you miss her, so that the others will know and come and support you.

- Quenotte kind of knew that you missed her, I said.

- He did?

- Yes, your cookies were even softer than usual, a sign of too much butter in the recipe, according to him.

Cook shook his head, a small smile on his face.

- He is right.

- Cook, do you have any news? asked the Viking.

He nodded, then sighed.

- She told me that she was coming back soon, that it would depend on the helicopter she could board... I really miss her a lot.

- Do you want us to ask Fatso to help her find a place in the next one?

- Already done. Lin asked.

Erk smiled. So did I. I wasn't surprised that Lin had done everything she could to get Cassandra's adoptive parents back together soon.

At noon, Lin and Katja partly told us how they met. I don't remember too much how we got there, just that the subject came up.

- Well, I'm going to lift the veil off my past, partly, at least, she began.