28: Heat Stroke

Their weekend away was exactly what Maya, Carina, Sarah and Lucia needed. It not only rejuvenated the group after the stressful events of the investigation brought into Colin Dixon's actions, as well as Lucia starting school, but reminded them that joy was just around the corner.

Lucia worked extensively with her group of experts; a physiotherapist, special educator and therapist, and seemed to be enjoying learning. Her vocabulary expanded with each day, and she was thrilled to be experiencing new things in a one-on-one environment.

A de-stressing activity that Lucia adored was when Carina would start to bake. Lucia found it fascinating, and every time she did, Carina would sit Lucia on the counter to help bake with her. They were baking a lot as the middle of May approached, especially as Sarah's high school year ended at the beginning of June, and Carina wanted to make something for the teachers who helped their eldest throughout a very difficult year of her life.

The temperature had been brutally hot as of late; summer was still a ways away, but the weather had already gotten very warm, almost uncomfortably so. The humidity made everyone tired, so the team was blasting the air conditioning in the station, enjoying the coolness of their environment and dreading any further calls.

Luckily, it was a quiet day and they had no calls, meaning they could stay in the comfort of the station. While nineteen was usually a place where civilians sought out a refuge from heat during a heatwave like this, station twenty-three down the road was using one of the old engines to fill up kiddie pools, and had fans going continuously throughout the building. The community seemed to flock down the road, which gave nineteen a bit of a reprieve to do some chores, and to try to stay cool themselves.

Currently, they were gathered in the beanery, the hum of fans surrounding them. Vic had an ice pack down her shirt, while Travis had the freezer door open, and was squabbling with Jack over whose turn it was to feel the cool air of the freezer. Andy, Dean and Ben had damp cloths draped over their foreheads, and Maya was trying not to sweat on a budget report.

Suddenly, Maya's phone rang, pulling her from her thoughts. When she saw it was Sarah's school calling, she swore with worry, and immediately picked it up.

"Captain Maya Bishop speaking," She greeted with a nervous smile, quieting as the caller spoke. It became clear that whatever information was being shared was serious when Maya's smile dropped, falling off her face entirely.

The team turned to study Maya's face to see what was happening, and collectively, everyone grew anxious as Maya's face flooded with worry.

"Is she okay?" She asked nervously, beginning to gnaw on her lip, and nodded, her eyes still wide.

After listening to the caller, Maya let them know that someone would be there to pick up Sarah, and hung up. As soon as the line went dead, she dialled Carina's number, and Jack broke the silence in the beanery.

"What happened?" Jack asked quietly, and Maya sighed, putting the phone to her ear.

"Sarah fainted at school. I didn't get the full story, but I do have to go grab her," Maya replied, the dial tone repeating as she waited for Carina to pick up.

"I can step in temporarily if you need me to. The mija is what's most important," Andy offered, and Maya nodded.

"Please," Maya affirmed. Someone would need to run the station while she was gone, and she'd been about to ask Andy anyhow. When Carina didn't answer the phone, Maya left a short message, explaining what had happened while gathering her things, and left quickly to pick Sarah up.

The five minute drive felt like it took an eternity, but she finally reached the school, and Maya practically ran into the office, her heart hammering. Her eyes searched hungrily for her eldest, needing to lay eyes on her, and when Maya saw Sarah, her heart skipped a beat.