Prologue

September 20, 2009

The little girl sat on her father's desk and swung her legs back and forth. She had h/c hair and e/c eyes.

"What are you working on, Dad?" she asked.

Her father was working away on what looked to be a catsuit on a mannequin.

"Well, Y/n, I'm working on a... super suit," her dad replied.

"Like Iron Man?" Y/n asked.

"Not quite," the father said.

He paused his work on his suit to pick up his daughter.

"This suit will be able to make you invisible. You'll be able to walk through walls and fly with this suit," he said.

"Like a superhero!" the girl said happily.

"Yes. Just like a superhero," the man said. "It's nearly finished. I just need Mum's help."

"And Mum is right here!" a feminine voice called.

"Mum!" Y/n yelled.

She turned around and ran to a beautiful woman with h/c hair and e/c eyes. The woman was holding a glowing blue cube in a plastic container.

"Now, now, Y/n, what have we told you about running when we have the Tesseract?" her mother scolded.

"Sorry, Mum," Y/n sighed.

Y/n's mother placed the cube on the desk. Y/n walked up to the cube and inspected it closely. She knew she wasn't supposed to touch it, but she really wanted to. Until it stared to shake the desk.

"Mum? Dad? What's going on?" Y/n asked.

The two adults shared a look. They had hoped this wouldn't happen.

"Y/n, go up to the neighbours' house," her father said.

Y/n glanced at her parents. She ran to them and gave them a hug.

"I love you!" she said.

She ran to the doorway of the basement-lab. Before she could reach the exit, the Tesseract exploded. The plastic box broke and power from the Tesseract hit the roof. Rubble fell in front of the door. Y/n screamed.

They were all stuck. Y/n's parents knew this. They looked at each other again. The only thought they could form was to save Y/n. Y/n's father glanced at the suit.

"It's the only chance we have to save her," he said quietly.

Y/n's mother nodded. She rushed over and picked Y/n up.

"Come on, sweetie. You get to try the suit on!" the mother said.

She was trying to be strong for her little girl. To pretend that everything was okay. Because, in reality, they had no idea if Y/n was going to survive. The suit was nowhere near complete. The abilities hadn't quite been added. That's why they had the Tesseract. They were going to use the power from the Tesseract to finish the suit and help out Shield with it.

Y/n looked up at her parents but agreed to try on the suit. Y/n's father took the suit off of the mannequin. There was another loud boom that shook the room as the Tesseract flared again.

Y/n began to cry. It was too much for her eight year old brain to handle.

"Hush, now, Y/n," her father said. "Everything will be okay."

Y/n's parents put Y/n in the suit. It was way too big for her. The material pooled around her. Her father pressed a button on the suit and it immediately shrunk to Y/n's figure. It was still a bit big on her, though.

The Tesseract flared again. The roof began to crumble down on the family.

"Close your eyes, Y/n," her mother said gently.

Y/n did as she was told.

"We love you, Y/n," her father said.

There was another loud boom. Y/n opened her eyes in surprise. Her parents were gone. A blue jet of light slammed straight into Y/n. It encircled her into a ball.

This is what Y/n's parents hoped would happen. The Tesseract was giving the suit the ability to turn invisible, phase through things, and withstand extreme pressure.

What they didn't count on was the abilities phasing through the suit and into their daughter. Y/n screamed as her cells were rewritten with different properties. She would be able to do all the things the suit was, plus more. As she screamed, the rubble lifted into the air. She faded from sight and then reappeared.

The Tesseract finally blew up, destroying the whole town. Y/n unknowingly teleported to a Shield base and passed out.