It Had To Happen

Hello guys! This is my first attempt to write a fanfiction and I have chosen my current favorite ship. Hope you enjoy. :)

Jay pulled his truck into the parking lot of the district. Hailey was by his side, face showing signs of exhaustion and despair. They had just arrived from the hospital. Ruzek was undergoing surgery and Atwater had missed a bullet by a very narrow escape, giving him a few stitches. Hailey and Jay had wanted to stay but someone had to finish the paperwork so Voight sent them to complete it. It was such an urgency because the superintendent was breathing down Voight's neck since the first day of this case. Now they had the serial killer in custody, but the cost was Ruzek getting shot twice in the abdomen and Atwater almost having an arm in a sling.

As Jay and Hailey entered the district from the back entrance Hailey let out a sigh of despair. It was clear she was worried and in shock. Jay, himself was shaken up and didn't have any words of comfort this time. Hailey threw her jacket on the desk and entered the small kitchen intending to make a cup of coffee. She asked from inside, "Hey, you want some?"

"Yeah, thanks," Jay replied happy that the coffee would help him cope with the tension.

Hailey was back in a few minutes with two cups in her hands. She sat on her chair and Jay joined her sitting in his favourite spot, on Hailey's desk. For a minute they were both silent, simply enjoying the freshness the coffee brought to their bodies and minds. Then suddenly Jay asked, "How are you? Are you alright? You were caught up in a pretty tough spot for a moment there."

Hailey sighed, reliving the memory of narrowly escaping wooden planks falling on top of her. The offender had pushed some in her way intentionally to slow her down. Jay had arrived seconds later and seen Hailey sprawled on the floor beside the heavy planks. He had panicked for a brief moment until he had seen a slight movement from her part. He had rushed to her aid and helped her up.

"I am alright, I think. Just a few bruises here and there. I'll be fine," Hailey replied sipping her coffee and glad in a way that Jay had asked her the fourth time how she was doing.

"You should get them checked once please," said Jay in a very concerned voice.

"I am fine Jay. Thanks," she whispered looking him in the eye.

Jay nodded but not fully convinced. He looked at her for a moment longer than normal and that had Hailey smiling slightly and asking, "What's wrong?"

"I was just worried about you. I wasn't even there to save you from that monster. God knows what he would have done if I hadn't arrived there when I did," Jay said looking sad and hurt.

Sensing the emotion overcoming Jay, she placed her hand on his hand and wrapped it. Jay looked up slightly and averted his eyes not wanting to break down at that particular moment. It was the first time they had shared such an intimate moment and for some reason it did not feel awkward or alien. Hailey felt the same way and looked away as well. They always talked after a rough case, but today an intimate touch was required for both of them to feel better. Jay placed his other hand lightly on her hand and looked at her. This time they didn't need words to convey their feelings and emotions, their looks said it all and in a way they were more powerful and profound. They held each other's gaze for a long time and suddenly Jay shifted from his spot and before Hailey could fathom what was happening, something grazed her lips softly. In a second she realised Jay had leaned down to kiss her. Her body went rigid at first and she didn't respond, leaving Jay in doubts and confusions. But Hailey could no longer resist, she parted her lips only so slightly that Jay's tongue was in her mouth, hungry but soft at the same time. For a few seconds they were exploring each other's mouths when suddenly, with an unforeseen vigour Jay pulled out, leaving Hailey breathless. He stepped back a few steps and looked at her with an apologetic face. He began, "I am so sorry Hailey, I don't know what came over me. This is completely unacceptable."

"Jay, it's oka"—

"No, what was I thinking!"

"Jay, it's fine, don't worry about"—

"It's not fine! I have ruined our partnership!"

Hailey opened her mouth to protest but realised that Jay was not going to listen to her. She stood there for a moment longer listening to Jay go on and on until finally she decided to take matters in her hand. She moved towards him in swift but calm steps and reached for his face and silenced him with her lips. This time it was Jay's turn to go rigid and wonder what was happening. But in an instant he realised what was happening and his hand was on her waist. That slight change caused Hailey to deepen the kiss and explore new depths. Their tongues were battling guardedly because this was new territory but nonetheless both wanted dominance. Hailey could feel a surge course through her body she hadn't felt for a long time, or even ever. Her nerves were super sensitive and she didn't know how long she would be able to hold herself up. Jay, on the other hand, didn't care about anything, he simply felt at home and wondered why on earth he waited so long to do this. He had ridden in a car with this woman for so many years and had never even touched her. Her hands on his cheeks were enough to make him shudder and lose his sense of reality. They parted softly, mainly to get some air and Hailey couldn't look at him, she was blushing red and looked down. Jay too was shy but he managed looking her in the eye and wondered what she thought and how she felt. Their foreheads were still against each other and this position made Hailey stand on her toes longer than she would have liked to, but if the reward was this she could do it all day long.

Finally she brought herself to look into the deep green eyes that she had seen for so many years but never from so close. She found them looking back at her intensely and she couldn't help but smile. Here they were, two grown adults behaving like children and that brought about an innocence that was so pure. Suddenly the door on the stair vibrated and they separated as though they were never so close. They saw Trudy walk up. She had come to inform them that Ruzek was out of surgery and that she was headed there now. He had survived and that was a big relief to both the detectives. Hailey and Jay nodded and said they would be right behind. Trudy nodded and left leaving them all alone again. Both of them turned to look at each other, clearly still flushed and in awe of the other. Hailey started towards the stairs saying softly, "We'll talk about it later".

She had a smile on her face that Jay couldn't see but was sure was there. He replied from behind, following her and grinning, "Yeah."

And just like that the paperwork was forgotten. Voight would be so pissed but it was worth it.

As I said earlier this is my first attempt, though I am excited to know what all of you have got to say. I am open to any suggestions, remarks, comments, requests and ideas. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!