Shattered Hearts

I am back with another chapter and I am apologising in advance. Many of you might hate me for what I have done in this chapter, but I think it is a great move and will help the story evolve in a more positive way. It is an emotional chapter. Nonetheless, I am open to any comments, good or bad, all are welcome. I do hope you enjoy. :)

Hailey heard Jay but she didn't know what to say. Again she was caught up in a situation in which either decision would be wrong in a way and there was no way to harmonise the different ways. She was stuck and she didn't know what to do. She looked at him and said, more to herself, "I don't know."

That statement for the moment suggested that she was neither here nor there and it was a safe zone. Jay too didn't know what to say right now, he certainly did not want her to leave Chicago but he didn't have any way to express that either. Hailey put her hand through her hair and combed it, this action always made Jay want to kiss her, but today he was glued to his spot and simply satisfied himself with looking. Then it seemed as though Hailey had a sudden idea and she headed for the door, picking up her phone and jacket. She was leaving and that too without saying anything. Jay had to stop her, he couldn't just let her go. He quickly moved towards the door as well and said in an even tone, "Hailey if you leave, we are done."

He himself wasn't sure if he wanted to say this, but the cat was out of the bag and Hailey looked at him incredulously. She hadn't been thinking on those lines at all and now his statement infuriated her. If this was the condition, she had just got her answer. She glared at him and said, "I was going to meet Voight, I hadn't decided to leave just as yet. But it's good to know where you stand."

Jay just stared at her, still in shock by his words and now by hers as well. She spoke again, "You really have made this easier for me Jay."

And the worst part of it was that he knew what she meant. She would leave him and take the job in New York. He blocked her way completely now, he had to convince her he didn't really mean it, he was simply tensed and worried. Hailey looked down and said pleadingly, knowing this was only going to get worse, "Jay... let me go."

He didn't move, but simply stared at her. Then he said, "I can't, I cannot let you go."

At that Hailey looked up at him and asked, "Why not? I thought you didn't want to speak to me."

Jay knew this was going to happen, he would try to tell her the truth but she wouldn't be interested because all this while he had been so indifferent and rude. He tried nonetheless, "Hailey, you can't go to New York."

She looked at him and asked, "Why the hell not? You've made your choice Jay, now let me make mine."

Jay hesitated in giving his response because he didn't know what to say. If he said he loved her, which he did a lot, it wouldn't have the value it generally would because he was behaving in any other way than a person who was in love would, and she wouldn't buy it. So what else could he tell her?

He whispered, "I need you."

Hailey saw the desperation and emotion in his voice but she didn't care, it was her turn to be mean and direct, "For what? For sex? For someone whom you can avoid and hurt all the time? For someone to whom you can just say anything you feel like?"

He stared at her in shock, clearly hurt by her words, "Hailey why are you bringing down our relationship to such a level?" he asked in a sad tone.

It was her turn to look at him in shock, "I am degrading our relationship? Do you even understand what you're saying? You're the one that just gave me an ultimatum!"

He looked her with clenched jaws and wondered how he could take that statement back. But she continued, "You're the one who thinks our relationship is so fragile. I never even thought of breaking up until you brought this condition."