Aftermath

Hello guys, a new chapter is here. Enjoy. :)

They were holding each other and really letting themselves go. No one was in the room apart from them and their abundant tears. Finally Jay spoke, almost in a whisper, "You saved me."

At that Hailey was forced to look down and search his eyes. What was he saying? Did he suddenly remember she was there all along? She asked, "What?"

"You did, Hailey. You always do," he replied, reflecting on how many times she had saved him, emotionally more than anything else.

"Jay... I..."she didn't know what to say.

"No, even though you weren't there, I felt your presence," he continued.

Now Hailey was certain that he didn't really know what had transpired. She continued looking at him, wondering what more he would say. He went on, "You were the one applying pressure on my wound. I was barely conscious but I knew it was you. I know your every touch Hailey."

Now Hailey was simply confused, one moment he was saying he didn't know she was there and the next she was. She concluded it was all the medication he was on, but a part of her was elated at the thought that he could differentiate her touch and presence from others, even though it was almost in an unconscious state. Although, she didn't want to clarify anything at the moment so she simply ran her hand through his hair again and caressed him as acknowledgement.

By now they had calmed down and regained their composure more or less. What they didn't see was a silent figure observing them from outside. Voight was looking through the glass and what he saw stirred an emotion in him that he had long forgotten. Seeing them wrapped in each other's embrace he suddenly remembered what it was like to be in love. He had done everything wrong in his life, he had chosen a dark path to bring justice but looking at them in this moment he knew that there was another way and maybe that way was more human. He was what he was and they were what they were. Hailey was like him and he was utterly glad that she had Jay as a companion, because she was very capable of heading down that somber path. But this was a two-way path, Jay was also very capable of following her down that dark path for the sake of love. Voight was most relived and pleased by the fact that they had something more valuable and long lasting than their job to help them become better people, and that was their love.

He looked at them a moment longer and he didn't miss the reserved but real smiles between them. It had been a while since all of them had experienced the pleasure of wearing a smile. One thing was certain in his mind right now and he was going to put it to action the moment he had a chance to.

In a while the whole team had re-joined them in the hospital and Voight had something to say. He looked at the intent faces of his team and began, "I have decided that all of us are going to have a vacation for a week. No cases, no criminals, no suspects, nothing at all."

The team looked at him in surprise not believing the words coming out of his mouth. What had happened to Voight suddenly? But he continued, "I am going to organise it and we'll leave next week."

None of them had words to describe the amount of surprise they were experiencing. It was like they were talking to a whole new person. He concluded with, "Hailey, I need a word with you."

Hailey stepped away from the bed and followed Voight out of the room. She wondered what this would be about. She looked at her Sergeant in anticipation and he started, "Listen Hailey, I thought long about it and I have decided that I want you to come back here."

Hailey didn't quite understand what he was talking about. Come back here? Where? Did he mean Intelligence? Voight continued, "I'll speak to Isobel in New York and take care of the matter."