When Push Comes To Shove

Hey guys, I am back with another chapter. Hope you like it. :) 

It took Hailey a moment to regain her composure before pulling off from the parking lot of Jay's building. She couldn't stop the tears nor could she stop the barrage of emotions that were invading her mind. But she knew she had to pull herself together because this was far from over, Abby was going to do something or the other but what concerned her more was the fact that Jay and she were not being able to move forward freely, every time something or the other came up. She decided she would stop thinking for the night and just go to sleep, the rest could be solved tomorrow.

Jay too had a difficult time swallowing this. He was angrily wondering why Abby had come and what would happen next regarding her. It concerned him too that every time Hailey and he were taking a new step a hurdle was popping up and blocking their way. But whatever it was, he was going to make sure that they got past this too.

The following morning before leaving for work Jay shot a text to Hailey asking her if she needed him to come pick her up but Hailey had declined wanting to keep their new relationship a secret still. Jay didn't question but understood the situation and they met directly at the district. Whatever had happened between them the previous night was not forgotten but neither of them spoke about it either. It had been a painful moment. The team had gathered in the bull pen and Voight came out of his office just finishing a call. He stood looking at all of them and started, "Alright, so we have another case today. And we have a new member joining our unit today as well."

At that everyone's eyebrows raised slightly since no one had been informed about this. Suddenly Voight motioned towards the staircase and said, "There she is."

Everyone turned and Jay and Hailey's breaths stopped. They couldn't believe their eyes and this seemed to be a complete nightmare. Abby was walking up the staircase a broad smile plastered on her face. She kept looking at Halstead and Jay felt as though darts were piercing his being. What the hell was she doing here? This couldn't be happening. He turned his head to look at Hailey and he saw the same expression on her face. Then Voight began speaking, "Everybody, this is Abby. She has served in the army and is now dedicating her life to the police department."

Abby nodded and thanked him and everyone for the introduction. The fact remained that nobody knew about Jay's marriage to Abby except Hailey, and probably Voight because he knew everything. If this wasn't the worst thing that could happen, the next announcement had Hailey and Jay's world rocking. Voight said simply, "Since Vanessa is back, Hailey you'll ride with her and Jay you'll partner up with Abby. I figured it would be good since both of you have served in the army."

Hailey was so shocked that she didn't look at anyone and went next to Vanessa hoping to get out of the district before someone saw her discomfort. All the while Jay was looking at her silently wishing that he could do something about this sudden but terrible change. It appeared that Abby was happy, she was glad to work with Halstead. Seeing that no one had a problem with this, at least externally, Voight began explaining the case. And soon enough everyone was assigned a particular job and everyone was busy with their work. Vanessa and Hailey were going to find a suspect with Ruzek and Atwater. Hailey hurried out of the district not even looking at Jay. She knew this wasn't his fault but she was angry at him nonetheless. As they drove Hailey decided to fill Rojas in on whatever happened last night. Rojas was both shocked and happy. The appearance of Abby was certainly threatening but the news that Jay and Hailey had decided to explore their relationship was uplifting. And Hailey said finally, "I don't know what to do now."

Vanessa for once did not have an answer. There was nothing she could say that would change the fact that Abby had joined the unit, so she remained silent hoping that Hailey would understand the meaning of her silence. But Hailey wasn't going to drop the matter so easily, so she continued, "And I am pretty sure she has joined the unit for Jay. She's not interested in protecting the city."