The Right Push

Hello guys! I am back with yet another chapter. And I can tell you this chapter is going to have a lot of interesting things in it. Various things happen and I am happy with the outcome. Please give me feedback and I do hope you enjoy. :)

Their kiss had ended rather quickly and both of them were seated side by side with a slight awkwardness in the atmosphere. As much as Jay wanted to experience these moments with Hailey he had to give her the time she needed and most importantly be there for her. If her reactions were so sharp and blunt there must be a solid reason behind them and he had to respect it and slowly make her overcome her fears. Hailey got up in a moment deciding it was time to leave. Jay suggested, "Why don't you stay here? It's pretty late."

Hailey hesitated for a moment but made up her mind finally, "It's better if I leave Jay. Also Vanessa has come back and she'll be worried."

Jay nodded, understanding she made sense and offered, "Then let me at least drop you."

Hailey agreed to that and they were off. The ride to Hailey's place was quiet and peaceful. None of that had anything in particular to talk about, but the tension that had been there earlier was no longer present. As they arrived Jay grabbed her hand before she got out and assured her softly, "I will be there every step of the way."

Hailey smiled and got out waving him a goodbye. He waited till she was safely inside and headed back to his place. Hailey really had a hold on his heart that no one had ever had before and he was willing to do anything to make her feel the same way.

As Hailey entered the living room she saw Vanessa sitting on the couch and reading something. At her arrival Vanessa quickly shut her book and looked at Hailey. The time had come for them to have their talk. Vanessa had heard about Hailey's incident but after tonight she had more questions. She was pretty sure Hailey had just come from Jay's place and she fully intended to know what was going on there as well. Hailey got a bottle of wine and poured two glasses and took a seat next to Vanessa on the couch. She felt comfortable and she was glad that her friend was back and was willing to listen to all her problems. As much as she liked Burgess, she couldn't share everything because they didn't live together and Burgess was going through some of her own problems regarding Adam. Both friends sipped the wine and Hailey began with Booth's attack, hoping that with this recounting she would be able to let go of it once and for all. Vanessa was listening intently and was clearly disgusted and horrified by the events. Her anger was evident and she was more than glad to hear that Voight had shot Booth ultimately. As the story came to an end Hailey let out a loud sigh, still not being able to forget everything. After long moments of silence Vanessa finally asked, "So what's going on between you and Halstead? I saw some tension in the bull pen today and I know for sure that you were at his place until now."

Hailey had to give it to her friend for being so observant and alert. She hadn't even been around but she had sensed that something was going on. Remembering exactly when all this had started a smile couldn't help but form itself on her lips. At that point there were no worries and no attacks to think about. She began finally telling Vanessa about their first kiss in the bull pen and earning a broad smile from Vanessa. Then the attack had shaken up the unit and Jay had insisted on helping Hailey out. She recounted almost everything, leaving only too personal things out. Vanessa was listening intently to the whole thing and she smiled in the right places and assured Hailey in the right ones. Finally Hailey was done and she was impatiently waiting for Vanessa's reactions. The first thing Vanessa said to Hailey shocked her, she had not expected her friend to say this first, "So you still haven't told him how you feel? You expected him to read between the lines and save you the trouble?"

"That's neither here nor there Vanessa. It's more complicated than that and you know it," Hailey said trying her best to justify herself, knowing deep down that she was primarily afraid to accept her feelings fully.