Love Is Beautiful

Here is another new chapter. I really hope you like this one. It's unique in its own way. Enjoy.

Round two was over but there was no winner. Either they both won or they both lost. This was the way they played this game and it was the best part of it.

Hailey was lying on his shoulder, the sheets pulled over her. She was tracing aimless patterns on his chest, paying attention to his scattered freckles, probably counting them. Her fingers lingered longer on both his bullet wounds, forcing her to look up at him. He looked down, without any particular expression but aware what they meant to her. He placed his hand on hers and squeezed it, reassuring her, himself.

They lay like that for quite some time until Hailey finally broke the silence, hoping to lighten the mood, "I really think this vacation is all about eating, partying, sleeping and...'having fun'."

"You're damn right it is! That's what vacations are for," Jay said, smiling.

She looked up at him, he was smiling too much. She asked, "What?"

"Nothing, it's just interesting to see how you never use the word 'sex' when you're talking about it," he said, waiting for her reaction.

"I do not!" Hailey shot back, trying to see if this was true.

"That's what I am saying," he agreed.

"No, I meant, I do not do that," she said, knowing he was playing with her.

"But let me remind you, 'having fun' is really fun," he said smiling and winking.

She laughed, playfully swatting him. And Jay could only think how her laughter was the best sound in the world. He teased, "Maybe we should go for a third round."

"A certain person was reminding me that we had a rendezvous later in the evening," she countered, knowing she had the upper hand.

"Yeah, and someone was highly worried," he played along, putting himself as bait.

"Yeah, I wonder who that was," she asked, feigning innocence.

"Voight," Jay said rolling with laughter, causing her to stare at him.

It had been a long time, a very long time since he had laughed so open-heartedly. She was delighted to witness this. He continued, still laughing, "No, but seriously, what do you think Voight thinks we are doing? He surely knows what we're all up to."

"But he's the one who suggested this vacation, so anything that happens it's on him," Hailey said.

"So if we have sex, he's the one to be held accountable?" Jay asked, still having a fit of laugher.

"Seriously? We're going to talk about Voight when we're in bed?" she enquired, realising she was feeling creepy.

Jay noticed her uneasiness but still enjoyed the moment. Teasing and playing with her was his favourite game, it was even more fun because she knew this. He raised his hands in defeat and said, "My bad."

She relaxed a little but was aware Jay was really enjoying this. Then he spoke, his tone suddenly purposeful, "Let's talk about us."

"Let's," she agreed, smiling.

Long moments passed by in silence then Jay spoke gently, "I want a baby."

Hailey's eyes widened and she looked at him in surprise. She laughed and asked, "What?"

But the moment she saw his face she realised he wasn't joking, he was serious. So she stopped laughing and looked at him carefully.

"Yeah," he said looking down at her. "I have been thinking about this for a while now and I..." he trailed off.