chapter 8: understanding

Yuri POV

Monday 08:30 o'clock

---------------------------

Swallowing my anxiety, I make my way to the clubroom, expecting to be the last one to arrive. As I open the door, I realise that Monika was the only one in the clubroom. "Oh! hello, Yuri! Sayori is currently still in the hospital and MC is visiting her for a bit before going to school. Natsuki said she's gonna arrive late. Is that okay?" I silently nod, unable to make eye contact. "Um...I-I'm sorry a-about yesterday!" Monika tilts her head, unsure of exactly what I was talking about. "Well...the way i got a bit overly excited when we planned that we were gonna read 'the portrait of Markov' together today...but I'm guessing I kinda annoyed you with my excitement. It was so inconsiderate of me."

"Ahaha! Yuri, you did nothing wrong. I thought it was cute how overly excited you were!" Monika smiles and giggles. Did she just say what I think she said!? Does she really think I was cute at that moment? Or is she just trying to make me feel better? I hide my beat red face by looking away. I'd say the way Monika giggles is more cute to me..."W-well, s-s-s-still! I-I think I c-changed my mind..." I clear my throat. "About the book....we d-don't need to read it." Monika comes closer to me. "Huh? Why?" I step back a bit pressing my back against the chair behind me. "B-because...I know that you were just h-humoring me a-anyway." I clear my throat once again and take a deep breathe.

"In retrospect, it's rather obvious that nobody was truly interested." Monika steps back away from me. "But- if you like it so much, then it must be worth sharing, Yuri!" A moment of silence stretch between me and Monika. "Um- well, the thing is, we don't even have any club activities besides reading and sharing poems! However the poems are a bit later of course. So you know like...reading books as a club activity! That would be, Okay? Right?" I look up and look back down at Monika. I sigh. "Why am i being so resistant to this, anyway? It's what i wanted in the first place...and you're being so nice about it. I really don't understand what's wrong with me...I'm sorry for being like this."

Monika smiles warmly and folds her arms. "You don't need to apologise! Anyways let's start reading!" I gently nod. Monika pulls her desk up against mine and sit's next to me. The book is already on my desk. Peering over Monika looks at the cover of the book. "Portrait of Markov.... Why is there a weird eye on the cover?" Monika looks at me. "W-well....I-it's just t-the c-cover.." I look away unable to make eye contact as usual. "W-well...I'm n-not used to having company while r-reading...B-but I'll try to explain any parts of t-the story that you don't u-understand, Okay?" Monika silently nods.

"You're very smart, Yuri! I don't expect anything less from you!" I blush trying to dismiss the compliment. But Monika is just so beautiful and cute! I just cannot stop looking at her without blushing. And I can't hide my smile. Monika giggle and hugs me. I can feel her warm breathing against my neck. It kinda tingles but it feels nice. Monika's warmth feels amazing! I feel like I'm in heaven, like the world stopped spinning and it's slowly loosing gravity. It's almost like we're already floating! Monika stops hugging me and I snap back to reality. 

"A-anyway...w-would you like to get started reading?" Monika nods and watches me flips a page of the book revealing the book introduction. I begin to guide Monika through the basics of the book and what it's about in general. Monika seemed to be interested however she said that the story is  a little dark. And she's not wrong abut that! That's what horror is all about actually. "How do people come up with these kinds of original stories? That's the exact opposite of what I write!" Now that I think about it I always had the same question too. I answer Monika by saying that they just end up writing stuff that come up in their head cuz I really don't know the answer.

I giggle nervously. Even if it's my first time having company during reading it's still fun. "Anyway, I think we should actually start reading now, if you're ready." Monika nods. Monika flips through the first pages of the book, getting past the table of content. "Okay.... Chapter one: sisters." The room becomes silent as we begin to read. It's a bit awkward reading with somebody but it feels nice to have some company so I just read with Monika. But, the silence only lasts for a moment before I speak up again. "Are you ready?" Monika looks at me confused at what I meant. "Y-Y'know...to flip the page?"