chapter 2: lothlórien

50 years later- 

It was bitterly cold in the Western Elven realms, colder than Oropher and Thranduil had ever known. This was as close to winter as it could get, though the elves who called this place home seemed not to notice. Over the years the cold had hardened them to the feel, whitening their hair and brightening their eyes.

Thranduil felt a whole new feeling of nervousness. Back then, Thranduil was nervous because he wanted to make his father proud. This time, the young prince is nervous because he was about to meet someone important. Someone, he would possibly have to marry soon. This fact alone stresses him out. In Thranduil's mind, he was too young to marry.

And it certainly did not help that he heard every rumour going around the palace about that certain Idhrenel, the youngest daughter of  the Lord and Lady of Light of Lothlórien. According to the rumours, she is a free-spirited elleth. She seemed to possess a wild look in her shining blue eyes. Almost crazy according to some. Each time she would return to her home, she would be riddled with injuries from her time in the forest in the late afternoon. She would bear scratches, and twigs and leaves would be stuck in her long blonde hair. But these were the nicer rumours surrounding Idhrenel.

Once the two of them arrived in Lothlórien, the King and Lord greeted each other gracefully, clasping forearms in the manner of their people. To Celeborn's side stood his beautiful wife Galadriel, whose ethereal blue eyes and glossy blonde hair were legendary. She alone had not turned with the cold that surrounded her. She stood with her hands clasped over her stomach.

Beside King Oropher stood his son, Prince Thranduil. He wore a green tunic, as was custom to his realm, and his hair flowed over his shoulders in a silver braid. His hands were clasped firmly but wetly behind his back, nerves coursing through his young body. "I thank you much for allowing us into your kingdom, great lord." Oropher wove the elven words mystically, bowing low as he spoke. Thranduil bowed beside him in the same manner. Lord Celeborn spread his arms, his silver cloak creating a shimmering screen. "You are most welcome within our realm, King Oropher. Might I present my wife Galadriel." 

Galadriel curtseyed and Oropher and Thranduil bowed again. "My lady, you are truly glowing." Oropher trilled. Galadriel smiled. "Would you like to rest after your journey?" She asked, "Or would you like to meet our daughter first?" Oropher looked at Thranduil, who looked down to avoid his gaze. He still did not feel comfortable with an arranged marriage.

"If it is convenient, Lord, we would like to meet the maiden." Oropher said, symbolically placing a commanding hand on the hilt of his sword. "Of course." Celeborn said. His lowered his arms and stepped to the side, his cloak sweeping the stone floor. Behind him, on the third of the tall thrones, sat the princess of the realm. She stood as her father swept out of the way and stepped towards the group.

She was beautiful. Her hair was a sheen of golden sunlight, cascading about her person and tumbling down to her knees in braids, shining like a waterfall. Her eyes were large and wide as she looked up at the young prince. Thranduil felt his knees shake in her gaze, bewitching and entrancing as it was. He could not stop himself from gazing upon her. He was far from subtle in his gaze upon her. She returned the gaze just as eagerly. It had only just recently hit him that this was the elleth that he saw in the woods just fifty years prior.

Lord Celeborn, King Oropher and Lady Galadriel exchanged triumphant glances as Thranduil stepped towards the princess. He stopped in front of her and tentatively placed a trembling hand over his heart, bowing his head. She bowed her head back at him.

"A star shines on the hour of our meeting, my lady." Thranduil said, catching her eyes. They twinkled at him as she smiled. "My name is..." Thranduil began, taking her hand. "Thranduil. Prince of Doriath." She interrupted, bowing again as his slender fingers enclosed around hers. "I am glad to meet you. I am Idhrenel." She smiled. For a moment they looked at each other, lost in their own world.

The feast for the winter festival, the reason Oropher and Thranduil had travelled so far to meet Celeborn, was a beautiful affair. Foods from all over Middle Earth had been shipped in and Lord  Celeborn proudly named each of the realms that he had done business with. Those of the realm were used to his boasting nature and Oropher tried hard to listen. Thranduil, however, found his mind wandering. It seemed his consort Idhrenel was too as, as Thranduil rolled his eyes, he caught hers rolling too. He offered her a small smile from across the long silver table and she returned it, her eyes sparkling. She really was beautiful, like silver starlight in the flesh. She silently raised her silver goblet in his direction and he mimicked the motion.

"To our union." She mouthed at him in her native language. He replied in his own, mouthing back, "And the rest of our lives." Neither of them had been sure of an arranged marriage, but it seemed the stars really had shone down upon them.