chapter 8: becoming king

Shortly after, came the death of King Oropher of Greenwood, in TA 3434. Thranduil and his father fought in the Battle of Dagorlad and that was where Oropher was slain and Thranduil returned to Greenwood with roughly a third of the army that had marched to war. Idhrenel was waiting for her lover by the furthest gates of Greenwood- a single tear escaped from the corner of her  blue eyes as she looked at the remaining soldiers who were riding closer. The bluebells were dying she knew this wasn't a good sign. "So few have returned..." She mumbled to herself as Thranduil rode past her. He didn't acknowledge her, he didn't even look at her. Idhrenel had never seen him like this. It was then that she noticed that Thranduil was riding just with guards and not with his father. "The King... were is he?" She looked around at the guards. A young looking ellon replied quickly with "The King has fallen, dear elleth" before riding faster to catch up with the remaining soldiers. The word fallen repeated in her mind continuously.  

Idhrenel then ran through the forest catching up with the soldiers before she stopped. The bluebells around the paths were trampled by the horses hooves, the elleth would normally complain about this but this was not the time. She waited until they were out of view before she carried on with her journey back to the castle. Trailing her arms back within the patches of bluebells, Idhrenel hummed gently to herself- a song her mother used to sing to her as a child. It was a hymn for soldiers who had fought and died in battle which best suited this time.

She knew she would be the one to comfort the Prince as she made her way through the gates and into the Throne room. Thranduil was nowhere to be seen. A nearby guard came up to Idhrenel during her search to find her lover. "I'm afraid, the Prince wants to be alone. He doesn't want to see anyone right now." Idhrenel nodded and as another couple of guards came through the doors she told them, "Boe de nestad" as she pointed towards a soldier who was limping not too far away. (He needs healing) Then she made her way towards their bedroom as the guards went to help the soldier. She paused as she got the bedroom door, inside she heard the muffled sound of weeping. She stood there for a few more seconds before she opened the door. Creaking the door slightly open, Idhrenel heard a familiar voice "I-Idhrenel," there was silence for a minute, "what are you doing here?"

Idhrenel looked forward and saw Thranduil who was once standing looking outside of the window and now was facing the door. He had not yet changed out of his armour which was stained with a mixture of red elvish blood and black orc blood. Idhrenel could barely speak; yet alone hold back her tears. "I-I wanted to see you.." She then noticed that Thranduil had turned back to look out of the window, in hope of seeing his father ride through the gates, though the memories of seeing him being stabbed tortured his mind. Idhrenel gently walked over.

"Man agorer anden?" She whispered into his ear as she placed a kiss onto his jaw which sent a spiral of shivers down his neck. (What happened to you all?) "We were outnumbered.." His voice only let a hoarse sound out and Idhrenel knew that he had been crying a lot. "Tolo anin naur." Idhrenel ordered gently as she planted her hand onto his shoulder. "An ngell nîn." (please) Slowly, Thranduil listened and made his way over to the fire and sat down. "You all did what you could... agoreg vae." Idhrenel whispered into his ears and he immediately pulled away. "It's not all good, he's dead Idhrenel. My father is dead!" Thranduil shouted and Idhrenel stepped back flinching. She had never seen him like this before. Idhrenel then looked up at Thranduil and he saw as tears brimmed in her eyes, not wanting them to fall. Yet he said nothing and he turned away. "Hiro hidh nen gurth Oropher." Idhrenel whispered as she closed her eyes. (May Oropher find peace in death) She turned to leave but she felt something grip onto her free hand. She didn't manage to turn around before she heard a small voice from behind her, "P-Please don't leave me. I'm so sorry...."

"Meleth nin.. I would never leave you" Idhrenel whispered as she stroked her Prince's cheek before moving closer and placing a kiss on his temple. "Gi melin." The Prince whispered as he pulled Idhrenel closer by a more passionate kiss. (I love you) "Dry your tears, my love, we can forget about all of this in the morning." Thranduil said as he wiped away her tears. "We've got a big day ahead of us tomorrow.." He added as he looked towards the window again. "Tomorrow you'll be a King and I a Queen." Idhrenel smiled as they stood there for a couple of minutes, in silence, before they made their way back to their chamber for the last time as a Prince and a Princess. Tomorrow he would claim his inheritance and become King of the Woodland realm, reigning over the whole of Greenwood the Great.