chapter 36: recovering

The change in Idhrenel is nothing short of astonishing. King Thranduil couldn't stop his eyes from wandering over the familiar lines of her face, her steady hands, the almost forgotten upward tilt of her lips in a small smile. "I am fine now," Idhrenel calls from across the room, and Thranduil gives up his pretence of reading the maps spread out before him. "I still find it hard to believe," he said, and after a pause, admits quietly, "I had begun to forget what your smile looked like."

"Oh, my love," the queen sighed, and lifted a hand to press it against Thranduil's cheek. "After long wanderings in the dark, I am home. No longer will you be forced to stand alone against the rising Darkness." Thranduil's lip trembled but he did not cry. He ran a hand over skin that was no longer grey and ashen, and let his fingers toy with one of his wife's strand of hair before he pushed the blonde strand behind her ear. Queen Idhrenel meets his gaze and a slow smile appears, like the sun after a storm, and he basked in it. He allowed himself to be pulled in closer and rejoiced at the strength in the arms wrapped around him. He met that strength with his own, and the silently thanks every being he can think of for giving him this back.

He led Idhrenel through the garden his blonde hair shined in the light from the moon. The tree's were in bloom and and the grass swayed softly in the wind. "Do you remember what happened here?" His voice soft filled with curiosity, Idhrenel frowned at him and shook her head as he looked at her with striking blue eyes. "Of course I can. This was where you stole my first kiss, the first kiss of many." Idhrenel wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned into him as he welcomed her embrace. He pressed a fleeting kiss to her forehead and Idhrenel raised her head to meet his pale lips with her own. Underneath the starry night stood two lovers in their embracement, as the stars twinkled and the wind rustled their clothes.