Chapter 4

Monday. Day 1 of ‘Make an 18-year-old my dad’ Project. That was spinning on your head as you woke up on Monday. You looked over to your alarm clock. 6:30. Classes doesn’t start until 9. You close your eyes, and in a quick blink, you were asleep again.

“Mia…Mia…”, you heard. It was a deep voice, but in a sweet tone. You could also feel a hand lightly rubbing your shoulder. You thought you were dreaming. But then you decided to open your eyes. A beautiful smile greeted you. It was Harry.

“Oh, um, what time is it?”, you asked as you carefully sat up. “It’s 8”, he said, still not losing his smile. And dimples. He stood up and offered a hand. You reached for it and stood up. “Breakfast is on the table.”, he offered as you two walked downstairs. You giggled. “Cute little apron by the way!”, you teased and poked him on the rib. “Why? Are you against cooking dudes?”, he said with pride, hands on his hips. “Hmm…I don’t think you can be my dad. You should be my mom instead!”, you joked. You couldn’t believe you suddenly felt comfortable around him. You ran around the house as Harry chased after you. You were both laughing. He finally caught you and carried you to a table, the same way a groom carries his bride after their wedding. “So, what’s for breakfast?”, you asked after catching your breath. “Tacos.”, Harry presented a greasy plate of Mexican food. “Seriously?”, you looked over to him. “Tacos have vegetables.”, he excused. “Whatever you say, dad.”, you said. You still couldn’t believe you like Harry already, and that you actually called him dad. You gave yourself a chance to move on, and gladly, you did. Probably more than you should, but you’re happy now. You lost your worry about your mom, school, and depression.

You were chomping your third taco and all Harry did was sit across you, smile, and stare. You stopped chewing and looked over to him. “Why are you staring at me?”, you laughed. “Lindsay told me to watch over you.”, he reasoned. “Well, not literally!”, you said. “Can I have some?”, Harry pleaded with the cutest eyes ever. “But this is the last taco…”,  you pointed out. “We can share it.”, he suggested. “Fine.”, you rolled your eyes. He transferred beside you and held the other end of the taco. He bit it while you ate the other side. You both kept biting on your own sides until a tiny piece was left. You gave each other sharp looks and raced on finishing the last piece. Then your eyes widened.

Your lips touched his.

You didn’t really kiss, it was just brushed slightly. But you didn’t say a word. And so did Harry. You just decided to let it go and eat.

“Go to the bathroom, Mia.”, Harry commanded after chewing the taco that was supposedly yours. “Don’t call me by my name. You sound like my dad.”, you said, holding your bath towel. You were expecting him to say ‘I am your dad’, but instead, he smiled and leaned over to you. So close you could feel his warm breath. “Okay then.”, he said firmly. “I’ll call you baby cakes.”, he said, this time with a sweeter tone. You pushed him away and giggled. “Alright, Hazza.”, you came up with your own nickname. “Why?”, he asked. “Because I like it.”, you said with pride, and went inside the bathroom.