Chapter 27

I’m beside this Brian in the plane, and we study in the same school. Our dormitories are only a few meters apart. He has the same major too. He’s curly, and has dimples. He smiles like Harry. Not to mention HAR in my ticket. Really?! I try my best to forget him but fate just keeps bumping me to things that reminds me of him. And by ‘things’, I mean in an actual human by the name of Brian.

“All passengers of airplane 814HARLB78, trip to New York, may undergo security to board the plane.”, an announcement echoed. “Har.”, you murmured as you gathered your things. Brian grabbed your box. “I’ll help you. All I have is this backpack, and you seem to have a lot of stuff.”, he said. “Why do you have such a tiny pack anyway?”, you asked, walking. “I came to Cali to have a week-long vacation. University’s doing maintenance so we had a two-week off.”, he said. You stopped at the end of a long line of passengers. Brian looked at all the angles of your box. “Wow, who wrote these stuff?”, he asked. “Guess.”, you said, more of like a tease. “Well, by seeing stuff like, ‘you’re perfect to me’, ‘I’ll miss your banter’, and ‘I love you’, I’m guessing it’s from Harry. He loves you too?”, he asked.  “Well, yeah, he loves me too.”, you said. “What? Then that means he is chea-“, you didn’t let him finish. “As a stepdaughter. And he only says those kind of things because he’s quite cheeky.”, you argued. “You like cheeky guys?”, he asked. “I don’t know, I’m just starting to build up my list of ‘what I like on a guy’ like most girls.”, you said. “Well, I don’t mean to brag but I’m pretty cheeky too.”, he said with the smile Harry has when he’s flirty. “Then I hate you.”, you joked. He laughed, and so did you. No, I shouldn’t be comfortable with this guy!!  

You walked inside the plane and settled your eyes outside the window. This will probably be the last time I see this. You looked at your phone. 8:30, still no new messages or missed calls. Have Harry forgotten? Is it okay for him that I leave, because he has his real girlfriend around now?  Am I really just a stepdaughter? But…the kiss… “Why are you so deep in thought?”, Brian tapped your shoulder. “I’m just wishing that there would be a dramatic scene that Harry would show up, running towards the plane while it launches.”, you said, with a little smile. He laughed. When I close my eyes, sometimes I would be fooled if it’s Harry that’s laughing instead of Brian. “It won’t happen.”, he said. You smacked his chest. “Why not?!”, you said. “Because he knows you’ll miss him even more if he does something as sweet as that.”, he said. “Sometimes, when I talk to you, I feel like I’m talking to myself. You know how exactly I feel even though I’m denying it to myself.”, you said. “I’m actually starting to like you.”, you added. “Why you didn’t like me two hours ago?”, he asked. You laughed. You spent half of the trip laughing and telling stories. It’s like I’m on this plane trip with Harry. There are even times that stewards came to your seats and shushed you, and all you did was laugh silently.

“Snacks?”, a flight attendant asked. “What do you want, Mia?”, Brian asked you. “No thanks. I have food in my backpack.”, you said. “No thanks, miss.”, he told the attendant. You reached for your bag on the floor, and so did Brian. Your hands touched, and you felt magic. Okay, maybe a little—or a lot—less magic I feel when I’m with Harry. But there’s a spark. This couldn’t…I love Harry…but, this can prevent me from loving my stepdad. Okay. I’ll admit. I think, just think, that I’m falling in love. This time, with Brian.