Chapter 20

“Harry, are you ready?”, you yelled. It’s Tuesday morning and you’re going to USC to receive your diploma from the university president. You were wearing a black cocktail dress with a tight top and a loose skirt that flows to just below your knee. He came downstairs wearing a white polo with a blazer. You laughed. “We look like we’re going to the prom or something!”, you joked. “Yeah, except for the fact that you’re wearing those.”, he pointed to your shoes. You were wearing black Chuck Taylors. “What? I don’t have any heels.”, you said. “The dress looks cute though.”, he complimented. “I borrowed it from Tatin, my friend from English class.”, you said. “What? Why didn’t you wear any of your own dresses?”, he asked. “I don’t have one.”, you said. He choked on nothing and looked at you weirdly. “You don’t have heels or a dress! Are you even a girl?!”, he joked. “I’m not just as feminine as the other girls, okay?!”, you argued. “You hair looks the same and you don’t have any make-up on. I like it.”, he said sarcastically. You smacked his back and headed to the door. “Good thing you got your car back yesterday. I don’t want to ruin my sneakers.”, you said as you went inside.

You two walked to the dean’s office where you will meet up with the USC president and all the members of the board. The room was big and empty. There were a bunch of people sitting around the coffee table. When they saw you, they all stood up and yelled, “There’s the pride of USC!”. You flashed a smile at them, looked at Harry, and held his hand. You both walked to the conference room to join them, hand in hand. “Good morning. It’s such an honor that you accelerated me and even fixed my applications at medical school.”, you said as you sat down. “We know this isn’t an official event but we want to make this event as memorable as the real thing, so we invited all the people behind this school.”, one of the board members said. Harry was standing behind you, holding your shoulder. “Please take a seat beside Ms. Bettler. She’s sitting on a love seat, two people can fit in there.”, the dean told Harry. “Oh, thank you.”, he said as he sat beside you. “Are you her boyfriend?”, another board member asked. For the third time, no. But I wish. “Oh, no. She’s my mom’s boyfriend. “, you answered. “Oh, wow.”, the group of people buzzed. “So, where’s your mom?”, the president asked. “She’s in Los Angeles. She works there.”, you replied. “Too bad, she can’t come. So you know the drill right?”, he asked. “Yes, I received your letter, and I’ll be flying to New York on Thursday.”, you said. “An SUV will pick you up at your house. In what time do you want to leave?”, he said. You and Harry gave each other looks. “Oh, I will just, um, think about it and call you.”, you said.

After a few more minutes of conversation, the president stood up and grabbed a diploma and graduation cap from the shelf. You got up from your seat. “Are you ready?”, he asked. You took a deep breath. Your eyes started to water as he placed the cap on your head. He recited the confirmation and had a representative from the Department of Education approve of it. Finally, he gave you your diploma and moved the tassels to the other edge of the cap, validating your graduation. You were smiling and holding in on your tears the whole time. You shook the board members’ hands. “Aw, look! The little guy’s crying!” the dean said. You looked over to Harry, and he was smiling and wiping his tears. You sat beside him and squeezed his shoulders. “Why are you crying, Hazza?”, you whispered. “I’m just, so proud of you, baby cakes. “, he murmured. After some more congratulations, the occasion was concluded and you walked out of the room.