Chapter 40

The first person I loved got my best friend pregnant.

It’s Saturday noon. Sophie is asleep, and you’re in the dark corner, crying—wishing that when you wipe your tears, it wipes everything else as well. But it can’t.

Your phone rang, it was Brian. “Hello, baby are you okay? You seem a little down when I saw you yesterday. Is everything alright?”, he asked. “Yeah, it was just, Sophie’s pregnant and Harry’s the father.”, you said. Silence. Then Brian said, “Oh, okay. Bye. I need to go. Love you.”. “Love you too.”, you said. Normally, I would say that to Harry. But no, he’s a dad now—for real, this time.

You continued crying until someone knocked on the door. “Who is it?”, you yelled. “It’s me, Leigh. Someone want to see you now.”, Kirsleign, the girl at the counter, said. “I’ll leave him here.”, she added and left. You walked closer to the door. “Who are you?”, you asked, still not opening the door. “It’s me, Harry.”, the person said. You opened the door. “Actually, you’re not Harry anymore. You’re not the person I loved, not as my stepfather, but as a person. I was even jealous of my mom because she was your girlfriend. But where sis that Harry go? Who is this worthless guy who goes to clubs and gets a random girl pregnant that I am seeing right now? I loved you, Harry. But now, I’m not really sure if it’s more of hate or pity. And if you came here for Sophie, she’s asleep.”, you said madly. Harry teared up, looked down, smiled, then looked at you straightly. “I want a DNA test. I’m pretty sure I kissed her on that Friday night, because I was drunk, but…but we didn’t do it.”, he explained. You woke Sophie up and you three rode a cab to the nearest hospital. Sophie was texting all the time, as if she wanted someone else to be there too. She also looked a bit worried. As she and Harry walked in to the obstetrician-gynecologist’s office, you sat on the empty row of seats and watched nurses walk quietly in the vacant hall. You hated hospitals, you had your saddest nightmares here—but despite all of that, you decided to take up medicine. 

You were staring at the door until you noticed a silhouette. You figured it may just be another ordinary patient or employee, but there was something with its hair that reminded you of someone—it was shaggy, and somewhat curly. You slightly opened the door, and the person ran away. You looked in all directions until you saw him.

Brian Vance, your boyfriend.

“Brain, what are you doing here?”,you asked. “I’m visiting my cousin, she has a broken leg.”, he excused. “No, I mean, what are you doing here?”, you pointed to the parking lot. “Um, I just got from my car and um…had a phone call, so I stayed here for a bit.”, he said. “Okay, then.”, you went back inside, but Brian stayed outside. You just decided to ignore him.

Harry and Sophie came out. “The results are here.”, she said softly, raising a long piece of paper.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The results are thereeee!!!! THE RESULTS GAWSH. Let's just leave a little cliff hanger there... ;)