ᴍɪꜱʜᴀᴘ

Raghav texted Nithya and got ready to sleep. It was the first time, he had chatted with an unknown girl for such a long time. It is not that he had not interacted with girls in the app. But those interactions were purely based on his story and nothing more that it.

Coming to Nithya, it also started as just a reader & writer interaction, but it went a long way beyond that. He did not know how it turned out to be a friendly one rather than professional. May be that was her nature, he thought.

She even made it easy for him to chat with her. If she had shown some signs of disinterest, he would have ended the conversation then and there.

For the next couple of days, Raghav and Nithya rarely chatted. But when they chatted, it would be for a long time involving in a funny conversation too. They had developed a good friendship in the mean time.

Raghav woke up on the buzz of the alarm and he looked at the picture kept on the right side of the table. His day starts and ends only with that picture.

Four years have passed since that picture was taken, still the happiness in his mother's face was fresh and irreplaceable! He smiled and kissed the picture and went to the washroom.

When he went to the hall, his mom was sitting with his coffee ready in her hand.

"Good morning maa" he greeted her.

"Good morning da! What plans today?" Sharadha asked him as she handed the coffee to him.

"Nothing much maa, normal work schedule only." He replied. "Why did you ask?"

"I asked simply da. Did you sleep well? You eyes looks tired?" she asked him concerned.

"You know that I will not compromise when it comes to sleeping! Still you're asking me this?"

"Then why there are dark circles around your eyes?"

"I'm using my laptop and mobile the whole day right, that's why maa. Don't worry!"

"You should reduce your screen time Raghav. Or at least take some cooling foods to avoid these things."

"I don't have time for all this maa, if you do something and give it to me, I'll use it."

"Why are you always dependent on me?" she asked him as he always asks her to do his works like a little boy.

"I'm just used to it maa. Moreover even If I do, you will say that it is not perfect and give lot of corrections. So it's better that you do it for me." he said and shrugged his shoulders

"But I cannot be doing it forever la.."

"Maa.. stop wasting time in arguing and go and cook breakfast. I'll take a shower and come." Raghav said and walked towards his room. His mom was not happy with the way he was behaving.

They both had breakfast together and Raghav started his work, while his mom sat back and watched TV.

After sometime Yazhini called Raghav!!

"Hi Yazhini!!"

"Hello anna!" she replied excitedly.

"You sound excited? What's the matter da?"

"I'll tell you.. but before that tell me whether appa called you today?" she asked him.

"No da, mama didn't call me. Why?" Raghav replied curiously.

"Thank god he didn't call you!" she sighed loudly.

"What happened da?"

"The engagement date is fixed anna!! We have decided next month 10th for engagement." Yazhini told him happily.

"Woww!! Super da! Congrats."

"Congrats??? Are you a third person who needs to wish me when I broke the news to you?" she complained like a child.

"Haha sorry! When did you guys tell your parents that you are ready for the wedding?"

"Two days back anna, I thought of telling you but got busy with some work. But we never expected that they will fix the engagement so soon."

"That's true. It's quite early only. But you both are okay with it right?"

"Yes anna, Aravind may get an onsite opportunity by the end of next month itseems, so his parents are willing to conduct the engagement before that."

"Oh okay da! So now tell me why you asked whether mama called me or not?"

"You know about appa right?! Whenever we decide something, he wants to inform it to you and athai immediately. That's why I hurriedly called you before he does."

"Hahaha I agree." He replied laughing.

"Make yourself free tomorrow!" she ordered him.

"Why madam? Do you have any surprises for me?"

"No no. We are going for engagement shopping tomorrow, so I want you and athai to accompany us."

"But..." Raghav was about to say something, but Yazhini interrupted.

"Just when we select saree for me, I want you both beside me. Please anna..." She requested him.

"Okay, I'll talk to amma about it." He assured her and thought of talking to his mom later that night.

"Thanks Anna, Amma is calling me. I've to go now. We will chat at night but before that please convince Athai for shopping." Yazhini told him.

"I'll take care of it. Don't worry da. Bye". Raghav ended the call and got back to his work.

After completing his work in the evening, he went to check on his mother, who was busily cooking in the kitchen.

"What's for dinner maa?"

"Curd rice only Raghav." She replied.

"Why? Are you not feeling well?" Raghav questioned her, as she rarely makes curd rice for dinner.

"I'm fine Raghav. " she replied with a smile.

"Then why are you preparing curd rice for dinner?"

" I'm just tired to cook something da. Wouldn't you have curd rice for dinner? I had already made your favourite garlic pickle last week." she tried to convince him

"I'm ready to have anything cooked by you maa. After a long time you didn't cook something la, that's why I asked." He explained.

Sharadha just laughed at his reply and started setting the dining table. They both had a silent dinner. He observed that his mother was not okay. He thought that she was tired and that's why she was silent and he did not want to talk about the shopping for Yazhini's engagement with her now. He assumed that she will be okay if she sleeps and they can have a leisure talk the next morning.

After having dinner, Sharadha cleaned the table and went to bed early. But Raghav could not sleep. So he connected his earphones and went to the balcony to listen to some songs.

He heard his mom calling him. When he went to her room, she found her sitting on the bed trying to breath. But she couldn't catch her breath and she was calling him.

Raghav ran towards her and tried to calm her down, but in vain, her trouble increased.
Tears were running down from Raghav's eyes when he saw his mother in a miserable condition.

It took a minute to get stable and understand what was happening around him. He searched for his mobile and his fingers stumbled on the keypad. He somehow managed to call the ambulance to take her to the hospital.

All this while, he kept on calling her, she was unable to respond him. But she had gripped Raghav's hand, like the only ray of hope in this world.

To be continued.

How was the update peeps 🙈