Down the Mississippi: s2 ep7 pt2

Scarlett's POV

Scarlett's POV

10k and I were walking side by side when we noticed Sketchy on his knees combing his hair with his back towards us.

"Wheres your buddy?"

"Curtains, saw him go down. He chose to sink while you, me and your pretty little girlfriend chose to swim." He dropped his hands and I rolled my eyes. "Y'know they say that drowning is actually a pretty good way to go, which I would hope for him."

"I read that drowning is torture." I said casually. Both boys looked at me. "Yeah, apparently you're conscious when you reach the break point."

"What the break point?" Sketchy asked, I could tell he was curious.

"It's when there's so much carbon dioxide in your blood, and so little oxygen, that chemical sensors in your brain trigger an involuntary breath whether you're underwater or not."

"I wish I never asked." He said grimly.

"Why do you know so much about drowning?"

"I had a friend a long time ago, Fiona, she almost drowned in her swimming pool then told me all about it when she was in the hospital. But that doesn't matter right now, have you seen our friends?" I asked Sketchy who was now putting his layers of clothing back on.

"They were swimming west."

"You saw this?"

"With my own eyes."

"What about the blue guy?" 10k asked as Sketchy passed us.

"Sunk to the bottom."

"Are you positive?"

"Oh yeah. He's getting turned away at the pearly gates right about now."

"Javi?"

"Who?"

"The man who wanted to through you overboard."

"Right, he was dragged under. I suspect a Z did it." He straightened his coat and I looked down at my shoes.

"Doc?"

"Look. I can't be sure, ok? Hey, either one of you make fire?"

"Yeah." We both said. Sketchy came up between us.

"The three of us should stick together, watch each others backs. I mean kids like you in these parts, you're gonna be taken advantage of. Especially you, little lady."