05: Air-washing

Nia and I pay for our food

Nia and I pay for our food. Funny story. I didn't want to come here, but Nia forced me to come. She said they made the best oreo milkshake, and she was right.

Miles was working behind the counter. And as I leaned over, I saw the small faucet.

"You do know that for you to be able to wash the cup you need to turn on the water, right?" I said, sitting down on the stool.

"Of course. I'm just air washing it." Miles responds, almost dropping the cup. The confidence he had this morning was no longer here.

"And who are you?" A voice booms in my ear. I glance over to Miles, who looks like he's about to faint. His face is as white as a ghost. The lady next to me is grinning. She looks over to Miles and then to me. "I asked a question." I can hear a thick Hispanic accent as she speaks, but I can't put a country on it.

On second thought, I don't think I would be able to put a country on anyone's accent. 

"I'm Diana. Hi." I noticed her when we entered with her hair in a net, but now it was down only reaching her shoulder.

"She goes to school with me, Lidia. Diana, this is Lidia. Lidia, Diana." I assume she owns the diner, hence why her name is literally the restaurant's name.

"Nice to meet you Lidia." I say, feeling a little awkward as Miles and she exchange secret and silence glances. They are speaking with their eyes and I find myself being jealous since I can't understand anything they are saying.

"So mijo, you get mad at your sister for having a little boy friend yet here you are with a pretty girl. What an hipocrita."

"How did-" Miles and I say at the same time, not sure how she could figure something like that by a simple exchange of words.

"Ay santo. I know I don't look a day over twenty, but sadly yet thankfully I have been alive for many years. Besides nene, I've known you for many years. How does someone magically air wash a cup?" I try holding in a laugh as Lidia speaks. She uses a lot of hand gestures  to emphasize her words. 

It's true when she says she doesn't look a day over twenty. Her features are strong and sharp. You could only guess she is a little older by the lines forming on her forehead. Her dark hairs hold one to zero gray strands.

"You know, I think I heard Jake back there saying he needed help with the burgers. You should check." I look down at my dress because suddenly it's the most interesting thing ever. The soft flowers vary in different shades of pink. I analyze each color as Lidia and Miles bicker in Spanish.

"Sorry about that. She can be a bit overprotective." Miles comments once she leaves. My attention goes back to him and away from my dress.

"Oh no. She's fun." He gives me a smile as he throws the towel over his shoulder. "How long have you worked here?"