10: Very fake relationship

When Miles first called me, I assumed he probably just wanted to annoy me like he usually does

When Miles first called me, I assumed he probably just wanted to annoy me like he usually does. I'm not sure how many times I've mentally slapped him. Too many to count. One of these days I'll actually slap him. But when I first heard his voice, I knew something was up.

Miles is usually easy to talk with. His voice is deep and soothing, but as he spoke to me it trembled. He was scared and that made me panic. His voice was deep, almost as if his words came from the very end of his throat.

Obviously, when I heard the actual situation I had a few reactions. One, I felt weird boys rarely knew anything about periods and female-ish things. I mean, he called them the monthly trip to hell. He isn't wrong, but still, the name was funny and surprising.

Second, I was a bit elated and a part of me felt special he called me to help him with the situation. He thought I could be of help. I had a confidence boost at that moment. His mom was probably busy at work, he's mentioned it a few times already.

And third, I realized Miles was worrying for no reason.

After that, I knew what I had to do. My guess was that it was her first period. I know how scared I was with mine. I grabbed on whatever sweatshirt I could find and ran out the door. I needed to make a quick stop and grab some things.

Miles was lucky he called me at this time. My Tuesday tutoring class was given earlier during a free period we both shared so I had the afternoon to myself. Of course, my afternoon ended up being for everyone else except myself, but I didn't mind at all.

"Clarissa. I'm Diana. I have a few things that can help." Maybe it was my female voice that made her trust me because she quickly opened the door and locked it once I entered. Her eyes were bloodshot. Her nose runny.

"It-s it-s my first time." She whispers. She's afraid I'll judge her or laugh at her. I know the feeling all too well. Miles told me she just turned fourteen. "All my friends got there's a year ago, and they laugh at me sometimes." I wanted to tell her real friends wouldn't laugh at that. Real friends will help you when you most need it. But I didn't, want her to feel worse.

"I got mine when I was fifteen so there's nothing to be ashamed of Clarissa. Everyone's body works differently that's what makes us all unique. If the girls laugh at you, ignore them. They aren't worth your time or amazing friendship. Besides, why do you need them when you have me." I tell her. I want her to feel cozy and easy with me.

"We're friends?" The tears had stopped but she had a few dried ones on her cheek. All I wanted was to wipe them away the same way Nia would have done for me.

"Of course we are. Now, I bought you this set of cheap underwear. Whenever I'm on my monthly ride through hell I use them so if they get ruined I can just throw them away. I brought you pads. I'll leave you and then we'll talk some more." I stood up and gave her the bag. Her eyes were everywhere and anywhere.