Vol. 3 Ch. 27 Aftermath Part 1

3rd Person POV

Birds were tweeting and sunlight was streaming onto the wall behind the bed's headboard. After a few seconds, Ruby woke up and looked over to see her father asleep in a chair. She sat up and sighed quietly, causing Taiyang to stir awake. Tai said, "Ruby!" He got up and ran to kneel by her bed and said, "You're awake!" Ruby groaned and said, "Ugh... what happened?" Taiyang replied, "Your uncle Qrow found you, unconscious. He got you out of there, though, and brought you home safe." Ruby looked down in thought for a split second, then looked at her dad and said, "Wait! Yang! Is she alright!?" He replied, "Uh... She's uh... she's gonna be alright. I think she's just... I think it's just gonna take some time for her to get used to things. She's too strong to let this stop her." He covered his eyes for a moment, sniffling, then looked up, smiling, and said, "I'm just glad to have my girls back at home." Ruby said, "What happened to the school?! And Vale?! Were they able to clear out the Grimm?" Taiyang replied, "Things at Vale are under control, but the school... It's... it's not that simple. That thing, whatever it is, doesn't seem to be dead. Don't get me wrong, you did a number on it. But it's not disappearing. It's... kind of... frozen. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but it keeps attracting more Grimm to the school." She tilted her head amd said, "I did... what?" Taiyang responded, "Hmm?" Ruby said, "You said I did a number on it. What do you mean?" Taiyang replied, "I... Look that's not important right now. We can talk about it later. Things are just... kind of a mess."

Ruby's POV

I heard Uncle Qrow said, "It's always a mess." Dad and I looked to see Qrow standing in the room, near the door. Qrow finished off the contents of his flask before continuing, "Mind if we have a minute?" Dad responded, "What, I can't stay here?!" Uncle Qrow looked at my dad and said, "Tai. Please." He stood up, sighed, then leaned in to kiss me on the forehead, and said, "I'm glad you're alright." He started walking away and said, "I'll go make us some tea." Dad glared at Qrow on the way out, but he didn't show any signs that he cared. As Uncle Qrow approached my bed, he grabbed a chair and dragged it with him. He then spun it around to face the bed and sat in it with a significant slouch, crossing one leg over the other and asked me, "So, how you feeling?" I replied, "Um... I kind of hurt... all over." Qrow chuckled and said, "That makes sense, after what you did." He crossed his arms and I said, "You guys keep saying that! That I did something! What are you talking about?!" Qrow uncrossed his arms and legs, leaning forward in the chair, and asked, "What's the last thing you remember?" I started to recall what I last remember and said, "I ran up the side of the tower, and when I got to the top, I..." I gasped, sadness in my eyes, and said, "Y/N! Pyrrha! Are they...?" Qrow sighed and said, "Y/N's been in a coma since I found him, but he's stable. His girlfriend, Pyrrha, hasn't left his side since. The woman that they both fought is dead though. I found your brother's sword sticking out of her chest." I said, "I..." Tears filled my eyes as I continued, "I... I got to the top..." I began crying as I said, "And I saw Y/N... Pyrrha... and Cinder..." I gripped my blanket, tears falling onto it as I finished saying, "And then everything went white!"

Qrow asked, "Anything else?" I replied as I wiped the tears from my eyes, "I remember my head hurting." Qrow said, "The night you met Ozpin, what was the first thing he said to you?" I replied, "I... I don't know. I think it was something about..." Uncle Qrow finished my sentence and said, "Silver eyes. That's an extremely rare trait." I replied, "So?" He said, "You're special, Ruby. And not in the 'Daddy loves his special angel' kind of way. You're special the same way your mom was. Your brother is too. Remnant's full of legends and stories, some of them true, some made up. But there's one Oz told me from a very long time ago. Back before Huntsmen, before Kingdoms, it was said that those born with silver eyes were destined to lead the life of a warrior. You see, the creatures of Grimm, the most fearsome monsters mankind had ever encountered, were afraid of those silver-eyed warriors. They were the best of the best. It was said that even a single look from one of these fighters could strike a Grimm down. Heh. It's a ridiculous story." I replied, "But... you think that I might be..." Qrow chuckled and he said, "Well, a giant monster is currently frozen on top of Beacon Tower. And you're here, safe in bed." He got to his feet and walked over to a window, leaning on the sill and staring outside. Then I said, "Wait, wait, how did you know what Ozpin said to me... the night we met?"

Uncle Qrow just replied, saying, "All those missions I go on... all the times I'm away in some far-off place... it's been for Ozpin. But he's missing now. Something's been set in motion. With Oz gone, I'll have to pick up where he left off." I asked, "Then what can I do? If I'm so special, then I can help, right?" Qrow replied, "You really wanna help? Get some rest. You're in no condition to go anywhere right now." He started heading to the door, before saying, "Besides, our enemy's trail leads all the way to Haven. That'd be quite a trip for a pipsqueak like you." Qrow winked and said, "Catch ya later, kiddo." Then he left the room and I sat there alone for a while. I looked at the window that Uncle Qrow looked out of, then stared at myself in a mirror hanging on the wall across from my bed.

Time Skip
(Brought to you by Chibi Neo dumping a bucket of water on Chibi Neptune)

Yang was sitting alone in her bedroom, staring out a window. Her remaining piece of Ember Celica resting on the nightstand next to the bed. I stood in the doorway and said, "Yang?" I waited for a moment, but when I received no response from Yang, I turned to leave, but then heard Yang reply, "Ruby." I turned back around, and Yang turned her head to look at me, tears now in her eyes. I ran over, hugged her, and said, "I'm so glad you're okay!" Yang replied, "But I'm not." I frowned and released the hug. Then Yang said, "It's all gone─the school, Penny, and..." She looks at her severed arm. I asked, "Yang, where are Weiss and Blake?" She replied, "Weiss' father... came for her." I asked, "What? What do you mean?" Yang replied, "No one outside of Vale knows what happened here. Before the tower fell, the last thing people saw was Atlas attacking innocent people and Grimm destroying the city. Everyone's scared. No one knows who to trust. So, Weiss' father came to take her back to Atlas, where he thinks it's safe. She's gone." I asked, "Well, what about─" Yang cut me off and said, "And Blake ran! Sun saw her go. After we got to the city, she just... ran!" I asked, "But... why!?" She replied, "I don't know... and I don't care." I said, "There has to be a reason she─" Yang cut me off again and said, "No, there doesn't! Sometimes bad things just happen, Ruby!" I asked, "So, what do we do now?" Yang replied, "You can do whatever you want. I'm gonna lie here." I said, "Yang..." She replied, "Just leave me alone." I slowly left the room, but I paused in the doorway, looking over my shoulder to say one last thing to my sister, "I love you." Then I left the room and went downstairs. I found Dad and asked him, "Can I see Y/N?" He sighed and said, "Of course, he's in his room." I nodded and went upstairs to my older brother's room.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.