Part 21:

I was extra quiet as I closed the door behind me. Michael was still asleep. I shuffled to the bathroom, locking the door behind me. Everything seemed louder when I was trying to be stealthy.

I sat on the toilet with the first box in my hand: a pregnancy test. I peed on it awkwardly like the instructions said.

It would be another 3-5 minutes before the result came up.

I tapped my foot the entire time, sweating a little from nervousness.

Finally a line came up on the test. It read negative. I sighed in relief and tossed it in the trash.

Now that was done, so I could move on to the next step. I took the next box from the bag. I opened it with shaky hands, and popped a pill out of the case.

I dry swallowed it. Mike was starting to move around in the other room. I hurriedly hid things and ran out to see him.

He smiled at me and stood up. I kissed him. "How was your nap?"

"Good. I'd rather have been doing other things..." Michael bit his lip.

I giggled. "Are you sure you don't need to do anything else first? I mean this would be part three of Round 2."

"I just wanna be with you. I don't care what we do," he admitted. His hands slid to the back of my neck.

He kissed me very slowly. I clenched my fists. He was so sexy. I couldn't ever resist him.

"Sounds like you do have a preference," I laughed. I went back to the kiss, jumping up to wrap my legs around his waist.

Mike caught me and pushed my back up against the wall. He put one hand on the wall next to my head, and one underneath me to support my weight.

I kissed deeper with my arms around his neck.

"You're so beautiful," Michael whispered. He stared into my eyes.

I blushed. I never liked being called beautiful.

"Not just your face, but your entire body," he continued. He lowered me to the bed and unwrapped my legs from his torso.

"Gotta pee." He flashed me a grin and hopped away.

I waited patiently. Suddenly his voice floated from the bathroom.

"Lily..."

I sat up. Mike stormed out of the bathroom with the pills in his hand.

"What are these?" he demanded, trying to keep his voice level.

"They're pills."

"Birth control?" Michael threw them to the ground. I flinched as he walked over to me.

He grabbed my arm to keep me from leaving. "I found the pregnancy test too," he growled.

"Michael, let go! That hurts!" I tried to yank my hand back but he held on tighter.

His voice softened a little. "You don't want a family with me?" he asked. "I thought you wanted kids."

"Not when I'm 21!" I protested. "I don't even have a career. How am I supposed to raise kids?"

"You have me." Mike sounded disappointed in me. "I would be able to support everything."

"I like some financial independence," I snapped.

"You're so stubborn!" The fire returned to his eyes. His grip tightened.

"Let go of me!" I repeated. He didn't listen.

"Why don't you want to have kids with me? Is it because we're not married? Because I've told you multiple times I want to be your husband," he said.

"I'm not marrying you!" I yelled. This was madness.

Tears sprung to Michael's eyes. "But you said you loved me," he whimpered.

"I do love you! I meant I don't wanna marry you now."

"Why not?"

"Look what we're doing now! You think marriage and a child will just magically fix everything?" I retorted.

"I can't believe you right now!" Mike went back to his fury.

"Then why don't I just leave?" I wanted to take back what I just said, but it was too late.

"There's no way you're getting a flight out to California today," Michael snorted.

I pulled my arm out of his vice-like grip finally. It was throbbing.

"I told you, I'm just not ready for this," I sighed.

"But what if you did get pregnant?" Mike wondered.

"That child would not have a happy life. I am settling down before I have any kids. But this is the beginning of my career. I have no time for settling down." I met his gaze steadily.

"Couldn't the pregnancy test be false? What if it's too early to tell?" He put one hand on my stomach hopefully.

"I don't know. You would get someone else to raise the baby. I can't deal with that now," I answered.

"Please have a kid with me, Lily. I love you so much. I couldn't imagine anyone else being the mother of my children," Michael begged.

I brushed his hand off me. "Not now. When I get older and feel ready, I'll definitely have them with you. Hopefully they'll get the majority of your genes."

I picked the pills off the floor. "And don't touch my stuff," I hissed. I put them back in their case in the bathroom.

I stared at my reflection. The argument had made me look haggard.

When I exited the bathroom, Mike was taking shots at the minibar.

"How long have you been drinking?" I walked up behind him.

He glared up at me as he poured more vodka into a shot glass. "Since you left me during my nap. I woke up and drank, then went back to sleep."

"Since when do you drink?" I asked.

"Since now," he snapped in response.

I snatched the bottle away.

"Hey! Give it back," Michael slurred.

"I will when you sober up and stop being such an ass," I lied. There was no way I was returning the hard liquor to him. It made him a nasty person.