Part 3: New Beginnings

Author's Note: Hey everyone! Sorry about the sudden stop on part 1. It won't publish the rest of that part for some reason. It ends with Janet and Lily setting off the alarm and running inside. Then Michael asks Lily if she can stay the night. She agrees and they fall asleep.

(I'm going to stop chapter numbers, too. I keep losing track.)

I came over later, much to Katherine's surprise. "Lily!" she said. "What are you doing here?" I hugged her. "I didn't have any plans today and I wanted to hang out here, if that's okay with you." Katherine smiled warmly. "Of course that's okay, dear. Michael asked if you stopped by this morning. He woke up later than usual," she explained. "He's in the studio now."

I thanked her and walked out a door into the small courtyard that led to the recording studio on the property. I knew I was supposed to knock, but I never did. So I quietly entered and turned on the music so the outside room could hear it.

Mike was swaying to the jazzy, mellow beat and sang, "You're every wonder in this world to me, a treasure time won't steal away..." He then hummed and made some noises to fill in for the words he hadn't come up with yet. He stopped the track. "Stupid, stupid," he muttered bitterly as he walked into the room that I was in.

"Hi," I said. He jumped, startled. "Oh, sorry. I didn't know you were in here." His mood brightened and he embraced me in a hug. "I missed you," I sighed. My knees were getting weak. He just had that effect on me. His hands moved down to my hips.

"C-can I listen to the song?" I requested, getting nervous. "Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna use it until a later album, though. 'The Jacksons' are making an album soon," he said.

He didn't like the band's new name, "The Jacksons". It reminded him constantly of his brother Jermaine's departure from the group.

"Does that mean you're gonna be gone for a while?" I asked. He nodded solemnly and pressed the play button.

I listened in silence except for my tapping feet that were playing out a smooth, soft drum piece to go with the song. I always did that when I listened to music. I couldn't help it.

Michael stared at my feet, and soon his were matching mine in the same beat. "That's good," he whispered. "I gotta use that." He wrote something down, and took out his tape recorder to capture the sound of my feet. I giggled. He was so weird sometimes.

The track stopped, catching some of the angry muttering at the end. "You should really be a drummer," Mike told me, like he always did. "Yeah, whatever. You know I like dancing better," I replied. "And I know you can sing, too. I've heard you." He looked up at me. "Not really. My range is really limited." I stood up from my chair. "We can work on it! I'll help you!" Michael offered.

"No, I'll just live my life being your friend," I said unhappily. I hugged him again. His hands rubbed my back. "Just my friend?" he asked. "I'm not ready to think about marriage yet, if that's what you're asking," I snapped. And I pulled away to see his hurt expression. "I wouldn't go that fast," he whimpered. He took my hands and gripped them strongly so I wouldn't try to leave suddenly. I couldn't look away. "But you have to know, you're the only one I wanna be with," he continued. "Promise?" My voice cracked. Michael nodded.

He dropped one of my hands. "Joseph isn't home. Let's go inside," he suggested. He led me out to the main house. Katherine was pulling cookies out of the oven.

My hand started to retract from Michael's nervously. He squeezed it gently. "Want some cookies?" Katherine turned around. She glanced at our hands and her smile faltered a bit. But she was a compassionate person. She held out the tray. Michael passed, but I couldn't resist. I grabbed one, almost burning my fingers.